Document management conundrumn

14 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 27, 2015   (RSS)

By Dave - January 27, 2015 - edited: January 27, 2015

Hi Guys,

I haven't looked through the code or schemas, but a really clean way to set this up (if it's possible) is to have a single section that allows one upload per record, so it might look like this:

Section: Documents

• Name - Name or document 
  • Upload - Allows 1 upload only
  • Public - [x]  Checkbox
  • Private - [x] Checkbox

Then it makes it really easy to sort and display files.  Note that you don't need a checkbox for "both" since you can test for (public && private).  Also, if all documents are public by default you could just use a checkbox for private, showing only non-private documents in the public section and all documents in the private section (perhaps with an image beside private-only) documents.

Depends on the needs of the project but there's some ideas for it.

Hope that helps!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By northernpenguin - January 27, 2015

Thanks Dave.  I was hoping to avoid that, but I don't think I have a choice.

Oh well!

Ragi

--
northernpenguin
Northern Penguin Technologies

"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."
........Arthur C. Clarke

By Dave - January 27, 2015

Hi Ragi, 

Yea, there's no right or wrong way to do it.  So you need to weigh the cost of data re-entry, time to redevelop it, and the impact on the various requirements of the project.  

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions or there's anything else we can help with.  Cheers!

interactivetools.com

By Dave - January 27, 2015

Hi Ragi, 

Yea, there's no right or wrong way to do it.  So you need to weigh the cost of data re-entry, time to redevelop it, and the impact on the various requirements of the project.  

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions or there's anything else we can help with.  Cheers!

interactivetools.com