Different Editor Pages for Different Users

37 posts by 12 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: September 22, 2011   (RSS)

By Perchpole - December 7, 2010

It's a bit quiet round here so I thought I'd throw my cap into the ring and hopefully raise some ideas about a recurring issue I'm starting to run into with CMSB.

I've worked with CMSB for a few years now and I really like it. I've got to the point where I now offer it as a default product and only revert to standard static web designs when the client wants something very basic.

The only downside is that as I learn more about how to work with CMSB and PHP, so my projects grow ever more complex. The result is that whilst I can now provide my clients with very flexible systems bursting with tools and options, the editor pages (in the CMSB back end) are starting to grow and can look rather intimidating!

What I would like to do (in my mind's eye) is be able to provide different users with different editor pages. Eric the expert, for example, would be able to use the default editor page, complete with all the tools and options for controlling every facet of the output. Average Joe, on the other hand, would see a much simpler page, stripped back to show only one or two fields. The other fields are "hidden" in some way.

Currently, the only way of controlling access to a particular field is by means of the "Admin only" switch. I would like to propose we roll out a similar system for users.

Each user would be ranked (Beginner, Intermediate and Expert). Editor fields could then be assigned to those ranks. This would provide a neat way of controlling what the user sees when they log into the back-end.

I think we need to look at implementing a system like this sooner rather than later. As things stand I am left with a scenario in which different users with different levels of experience (and confidence) are required to use the same toolset.

I have no way of controlling this and that needs to be addressed.

:0/

Perchpole

Re: [Perchpole] Different Editor Pages for Different Users

By northernpenguin - December 8, 2010

PerchPole

This is an excellent idea! I've been thinking along those lines myself, but from a different angle. Great idea and it would be extremely useful to me.
--
northernpenguin
Northern Penguin Technologies

"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."
........Arthur C. Clarke

Re: [northernpenguin] Different Editor Pages for Different Users

By Toledoh - December 8, 2010

Me 3!

It would also tie in with something else that has been discussed - related fields (?) where fields are displayed in the editor dependant on how they complete a previous section. In this case, the related field is filled in austomatically based on their account profile.

Love it!
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

Re: [Toledoh] Different Editor Pages for Different Users

By aev - December 9, 2010

+1 for related fields :)

-aev-

Re: [aev] Different Editor Pages for Different Users

By Toledoh - December 9, 2010

Whilst we are making changes to the editors [;)]

We currently have the "separators" - would it be possible to add "paginators" or "tabs" so that the editors could be viewed over a number of pages, rather than a long list.
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

Re: [Toledoh] Different Editor Pages for Different Users

By Perchpole - December 10, 2010

...or some kind of "accordion" system....

Re: [Perchpole] Different Editor Pages for Different Users

By Chris - December 10, 2010

Thanks everyone! These are some great ideas!

Can we elaborate on how related fields work? You can fill in fields automatically with account profile fields by setting a field's Default Value to, for example,

<?php echo htmlspecialchars($CURRENT_USER['email']); ?>

What else would related fields do?
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] Different Editor Pages for Different Users

By aev - December 10, 2010

Hi Chris,

I have explained my "interpretation" of related fields here:
http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=84322#84322

This would make sections with many fields a lot more user-friendly to work with. I like the thought of choosing a value from a cmsb drop-down list, and after choosing we can show more related fields to be edited.

This would behave just like the "Field Type" drop-down in the Field Editor, it shows "Field Options" dependent on the selected "Field Type".

This feature is our biggest wish for CMSB in the months to come, think of it as a way to filter out fields not relevant after making another field selection. Hope you understand what I mean..

Looking forward to your opinion on this – can it be done?

-aev-

Re: [aev] Different Editor Pages for Different Users

By zip222 - December 10, 2010

This is on my wish list as well. Here is fairly simple example of how this would help me. On many of the sites I have built there is a News section. This section usually contains two distinct types of news articles: In the News items, and Press Releases.

In the News items only require a title, source, and url. But Press Releases require quite a few different and additional fields. It would be great if the user could select the Type first, and then only applicable fields would be revealed - or non-applicable fields would be hidden.

At the same, while I really want this feature, I worry that features like this could make the software significantly more complicated to work with.