Notice: CMSB Upcoming Features and Development Plan

81 posts by 36 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 31, 2012   (RSS)

• Archived  

By Dave - August 31, 2010 - edited: June 1, 2011

Hello all,

We've had a lot of people asking for us to pre-announce upcoming features. Here's what we're working on for the next few versions:

Page Previews - A way to preview changes being made within the CMS before posting them live. Done - v2.07

Relative Upload Paths - Currently uploads are stored with their full filepaths and urls which can add an extra step when moving servers. We're going to update that to store relative paths in the database and re-generate the absolute paths in the viewers when they are displayed.

Shared Asset Library - A way to "share" uploads between records so you don't need to upload the same file over and over again when multiple records require it.

And we have the following plugins in development:

Comments Plugin - Works with website membership to allow logged in users to comment on any page, records, item, etc.

Ratings Plugin - Works with website membership to allow users to select a rating (0 - 5 stars) and display that rating on any type of page, record, or item.

Instant Website - A template set with 5 themes and a hierarchical menu structure all driven from a single viewer file. Great for creating websites fast or as an example for developers how to create pre-made templates that work instantly with CMSB. - Done!

Also, sometime we'll be doing maintenance releases between planned releases where we release bug fixes, minor changes, and features that were added through consulting or custom programming.

We don't have any release dates yet, but feel free to post any questions.

Thanks for all your feedback and support! :)
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Notice: CMSB Upcoming Features and Development Plan

• Archived  

By rconring - September 1, 2010

Dave ....

As usual, you guys seem to have your finger directly on the pulse of your customers! I have wished for every one of your upcoming features at some point in time and the "Relative Upload Paths" and "Shared Assets Library" are probably the most wished for items.

I can see the "Instant Websites" being a huge hit since it will provide real world examples to help jump start the learning process for those new to CMSB.

Kudos to you and the Itools team!
Ron Conring
Conring Automation Services
----------------------------------------
Software for Business and Industry Since 1987

• Archived  

By videopixel - September 2, 2010

Thanks for the 'GOOD' feature choices...

• Archived  

By Djulia - September 3, 2010

Hi Dave,

It would be interesting to improve ergonomics of the interface of administration of the sections.

1) the possibility of using fields (input)
[font "Times New Roman"]datepicker, color[font "Times New Roman"]picker ...
2) for long sections, the possibility of using a accordion function.
3) ...

Thanks ! :)

Djulia

• Archived  

By zip222 - September 7, 2010

an idea for a future feature...

The page you see after logging into the CMS always feels a little barren and something that would be great to be able to include there are some "shortcuts" to common actions:

Add a News Item
Add a Job Listing
Add an Event
Etc...

Re: [zip222] Notice: CMSB Upcoming Features and Development Plan

• Archived  

By Chris - September 7, 2010

Hi folks,

Thanks for the great feedback! :D

@Djulia: Datepickers and colourpickers would be great; the way our code base is moving it will be much easier to add these features in the future. I'm curious: what do you mean by an "accordian function" for long sections?

@zip222: I've wanted a combo Single/Multi editor for a while now. You can almost do this with a Related Records field, but there's currently no way to get a Create button in there. Also, there is no search or pagination functionality.

Regarding shortcuts to common actions, I'm not sure CMS Builder will be able to guess which actions are common, but you can write a simple plugin to change the content of the home page. I've attached one to this post as an example — you can change the HTML in the plugin to whatever you'd like to modify the home page content.
All the best,
Chris
Attachments:

custom_home.php 1K

Re: [chris] Notice: CMSB Upcoming Features and Development Plan

• Archived  

By zip222 - September 7, 2010

That plugin is exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

• Archived  

By Maurice - September 10, 2010

dave This is cool is it in the 2.06 version???
-------------------------------------------

Dropmonkey.nl

Re: [Maurice] Notice: CMSB Upcoming Features and Development Plan

• Archived  

By Chris - September 10, 2010

Hi Maurice,

These are features you can expect to see in the next few versions. Version 2.06 is a maintenance release, but I've been working on Page Previews for a few days now. Stay tuned! :)
All the best,
Chris