CMS Builder v1.33 Released (Menu Enhancements)

6 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: September 8, 2009   (RSS)

• Archived  

By Dave - August 24, 2009

We've just released v1.33 with many new features and improvements.

This release is focused on menu enhancements. Here's what's new:

- Menu Groups, these are header bars in the menu that group multiple sections together. They collapse accordion style so opening one group closes the others. This is a great feature for grouping related sections on larger CMS sites.

- Text Links, you can now add text links to the menu bar that link to external sites or any url. This makes it easier to provide links to other applications or services your clients might need and more tightly integrate your system with CMSB. This is great for adding links back to your company website (for your clients), your support page, and links to any other control panels or web applications the client might need to access.

- Indented Menu Items, you'll be able to indent a menu item so it shows "under" another menu item to create more logical groupings when there are lots of menu links. And these can also be styled differently in cmsAdmin/css/ui.css if desired.

For a full list of changes, visit the CMS Builder changelog:
http://www.interactivetools.com/products/cmsbuilder/changelog.html

CMS Builder users can upgrade by donation at this page:
http://www.interactivetools.com/upgrade/

Please feel free to post your feedback and questions! We're always eager to get your feature requests and bug reports, every single release is full of user requested fixes and features. Post in the forum or email me at dave@interactivetools.com.

Thanks!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer

interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] CMS Builder v1.33 Released (Menu Enhancements)

• Archived  

By Dave - August 24, 2009

Here's some step by step instructions for trying some of the new features.

Create a text link - Click Admin > Section Editors > Add New Editor. Then select: Advanced Menus > Text Link and enter "Google" (or anything) for "Menu Name" and click Save. Then click modify on the new section and change the link url to http://www.google.com/ (or whatever you link).

Create a menu group - Click Admin > Section Editors > Add New Editor. Then select: Advanced Menus > Menu Group and enter "My Group" (or anything) for "Menu Name" and click Save.

You can drag your new group up and down the menu list. Any menu items under it will be hidden unless the menu group is open. Try clicking on the menu groups and mousing off to see how they work.

Indenting a menu option - Just click modify from the Section Editor and then check "Indent on menubar" beside the menu name.

Updating the menu colors & CSS - We've tried to make the CSS easier to custom if you want to change the menu colors for menu groups, menu items, and indented menu items. See cmsAdmin/css/ui.css for more details.

Have fun!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer

interactivetools.com

• Archived  

By rez - September 8, 2009

The menu groups work great for me, the administrator. But my client, only an editor, does not see the groups. When I log in with his account, I still see one long menu list. It would be great to give him the same benefits of groups.

Is there a way to enable that? i'm still looking... If not, i don't understand why. ? :)

thanks

• Archived  

By rez - September 8, 2009

Yes, I am using "per section" so they don't see my test editors.

I have it working since you pointed me back to that account screen. I see that you have to fill in the checkboxes to "give them access". I missed them. It doesn't seem obvious to me but it works.

Thanks. :)

Re: [rez] CMS Builder v1.33 Released (Menu Enhancements)

• Archived  

By rez - September 8, 2009 - edited: September 8, 2009

Ok, maybe it is more obvious now that I look at it again. The title of the column is "access" and I need to fill "checked".

That's pretty obvious: Access? Check!

It's fine, for some reason i didn't get it. I just figured the new menu would work, not getting the need for "access". Thanks for the direction.