simpleCart and New PayPal Requirements

By Perchpole - September 19, 2016

Hello, All -

For the avoidance of doubt, could the iTools team please give an indication of what changes will need to be made to simpleCart set-ups in order to comply with the soon to be introduced new PayPal requirements?

It is my understanding that the changes will have an effect on the way IPN works - which means some work will be required on our set-ups in order to continue operating.

Thanks,

Perch

By gregThomas - September 20, 2016

Hey Perch, 

Are you referring to the email they sent out about upgrading to a SHA-256 certificate? This will only be an issue if your hosting is running a very old version of OpenSSL (SHA-256 was added in version 0.9.8k, which came out in March 2009). 

I found out that soundcloud.com is already using a SHA-256 certificate. So I've written a script that will test if your server can connect to it  (see post attachement). You'll need to copy it into the base of your site, then run it with your browser. If the server supports SHA-256 "Connected successfully!" will be displayed. 

Cheers!

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com
Attachments:

sha-256-test.php 8K

By Perchpole - September 20, 2016

Hi, Greg -

Thanks for this. Am I right in thinking, therefore, that the warning sent out by PayPal applies to server setups - as opposed to web site set-ups?

I run almost my sites on 1&1 servers - which are pretty top drawer in Europe - so I am guessing they'd already be on side with the changes.

Perch

By gregThomas - September 20, 2016

Hey Perch, 

That's correct, you'll need to ensure that the server is able to make the correct type of connection to PayPal. There aren't any changes need to the PHP code.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By Perchpole - September 20, 2016

Brilliant. Thanks.

:0)

Perch