Is this relatively simple to create or other? Image location scrambler thingy.

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 8, 2023   (RSS)

By Codee - May 8, 2023

Dave and I.T. Team,

Been doing some thinking on security procedures and recent influx of site scrapers for images by A.I.  Sometime back your team created the Spambot Email Protector which was a GREAT idea with only one glitch (order of operations, if someone used dynamic entry from CMSB it also got scrambled so legit emails didn't work  in that case) but now I am wondering if there is a simple way (like plugin or standard coding) to either prevent, or screw with, AI image scraping?  I was thinking it would/could work by adjusting the IRL after the page is loaded (so displaying the correct image or thumbnail but if someone tries to right-click-download, right-click-open-in-new-window, or just scrape the IRL from the source code, they get the wrong IRL/URL.) 

Does that make sense?

By Codee - May 8, 2023

Dave,

Thank you. Yea, I couldn't figure how to make that happen because downloading the images is critical browser behavior and monkeying with that causes issues, and different issues in different browsers, and it's not hard to break past some of the robots.txt rules. For example, the tool img2datset can be prevented, by website coders, from access using X-Robots-Tag: noai”, “X-Robots-Tag: noindex” , “X-Robots-Tag: noimageai”, and “X-Robots-Tag: noimageindex”. By default, img2dataset will ignore images with such headers.  HOWEVER, img2dataset tells users "to disable this behaviour and download all images, you may pass “--disallowed_header_directives '[ ]'”  ...which is part of what just ticks me off.

That's why I wrote because I couldn't think of any other simple ways to combat this.  Yes, I have some .htaccess blocks in place but attempting to block everything would cripple site speed.