Safe to clear out/delete the contents of the temp directory inside the data folder?

5 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 4, 2022   (RSS)

By Codee - September 29, 2022

Hello,

Is it safe to delete the contents of the temp directory inside the data folder in CMSB?

Thanks in advance.

By Codee - October 3, 2022

Daniel,

thank you.  One clarification on what you wrote: If "I" did not create the usage, and I am not running any customized plugins (but only using standard plugins from IT site), then it's safe to delete? Or is there something the core CMSB code (recent version 3.57) might be using the temp directory for?

By daniel - October 4, 2022

Hi Codee,

Without examining the site directly it's difficult to say that the files are 100% safe to delete, but I can say that I've never come across an issue caused by someone clearing their temp folder. The most common use for this folder is to temporarily store files as they're being uploaded or created, however, sometimes the "cleanup" process is interrupted or prevented for some reason, and the temporary file is not deleted automatically.

Can you tell me a few example filenames that are in your temp folder? If they end in ".tmp" then they are genuine temp files and can be deleted.

Thanks,

Daniel
Technical Lead
interactivetools.com

By Codee - October 4, 2022

Nearly ALL of them are graphics files I was uploading during testing with the webp converter (it's on another post on this forum and you helped me out with it). I knew what they were and was instinctively just going to delete but thought I'd better ask first (which I did). My hesitancy is because on the newer Corel programs (on my pc) the original graphics are autosaved into a special Corel folder...With all the wonderful improvements to CMSB I just wanted to be sure that they didn't need to be saved.  

Thanks, I'll clear most of them out. 

Cheers!