Image Resize after upload

10 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 24, 2022   (RSS)

By andybarn - November 18, 2021

Hi

I have a property Website with thousands of images in the /uploads folder (not the /thumb folders)

I want to resize these images without having to re-upload them

With the /thumb folders I can change dimensions and then regenerate the thumbnails via the cmsAdmin login but there is no feature to do this on the /uploads folder.

Is there a way I can do this without having to re-upload all the images again?

Thanks

Andy

By gkornbluth - November 18, 2021

Hi

Not sure I understand exactly what youx're asking, but as admin. you should be able to go into your section editor's upload field, change the size of of any one of the existing thumbnails (or create a new one for the new size) and then click re-create. The new images are created from your original uploads.

If you create a  new thumbnail, be sure to reflect that in your viewer page code.

Hope that helps

Jerry Kornbluth 

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By andybarn - November 18, 2021

Hi Jerry

I know I can recreate the thumbnails, but my Website also uses the original uploaded files. It is these that I want to resize.

I attach an image which I hope explains better.

Thanks

Andy

Attachments:

image_resize.png 54K

By gkornbluth - November 18, 2021 - edited: November 18, 2021

Got it, Andy...

I think that resizing uploads would only affect new images.

Interactive Tools should easily be able to create a plugin that would do what you need, based on the fact that the function already exists for thumbnails.

I'd reach out to them through support

Jerry

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By Steve99 - November 19, 2021

Hi Andy,

If you were to treat the primary image upload file as your source file, the "thumbnail" sizes can be treated as alternative image sizes (versus the literal naming convention).

Use one of the available "thumbnails" as the main image for your page. The recreate utility will generate all your new images, then just update your website code to reference this "thumbnail" (alternative image size).

Best,
Steve

By Steve99 - November 19, 2021

Ah, storage space... got it... Yeah, in that case I'd reach out to Interactive Tools support to create a plugin for you.

By andybarn - November 19, 2021

Thanks Jerry and Steve for your help.

Andy

By andybarn - November 19, 2021

I have reached out to Support at Interactive Tools

Andy

By Codee - March 24, 2022

Hi Andy,

I had to go through something similar for a client that also had thousands of (source) images that needed to be resized. For me the fastest, simplest and very stable method was to use Photoshop to batch-modify all the photos at the same time. If you haven't done it before, but are reasonably familiar with Photoshop, it only takes a few minutes to set up the macro (PLENTY of tutorials out there) and let it automatically resize all the images. Once I hit "go" my computer literally only took a few minutes to accomplish it. Then I simply opened up an ftp connection, clicked upload, and went to grab a bite to eat in the kitchen while all those images reuploaded to the image folder. Of course, make at least 1 backup of your data before attempting to manipulate it.  ;-)