Media Library Plugin.

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder: Plugins & Add-ons
Last Post: July 21, 2020   (RSS)

By Toledoh - February 18, 2020

Hi All.

I've been working on a specification for a "Media Library" plugin to be built by the guys at interactivetools.com.  The intent being to be able to have a single storage point for images / documents.

Although not too costly, it is a bit much for me to cover with a single client project. Rather than waiting for additional project to contribute, I was wondering if other CMSB users would have a need for it and wish to contribute?

This would be a minimal viable product, and not released for general use for some time, but would obviously be suitable for you to use on multiple projects.

If you are interested - please get in touch (email: tim at toledoh dot com dot au) and we can discuss the specifics.

Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

By Toledoh - July 19, 2020

Yep - still going, and making progress.

* Is this to be used within a single domain or are you thinking cross-domain functionality (like a CDN)?

I'm seeing a single domain. 

would it be relegated to be used only from within CMSB sites/functions, outside, or a combination?

Initially, just within CMSB.  However I do see value in extending that and was thinking of being able to sync with Dropbox and Google Drive etc.  I don't think the monitoring of an FTP folder would be much different to that.

Not planned initially, but I'm thinking the following things may be something to build out.

• I would like to see the media library stored externally also - so hosting images / files etc on an S3 instance rather than on the local server, for cost savings, security, redundancy etc. 
  • The way cloudinary etc programatically deliver images and video in a responsive format is brilliant - so the source file is stored, and the cropped / manipulated image is delivered as required rather than duplicated into multiple versions.
  • I like the idea of storing "embed code" as media in the media library - so for instance we could store vimeo and youtube video, or podcasts etc, rather than having to locate that source each time.  
  • Having admin roles associated to the media library would also be beneficial - so Admin or Marketing etc could upload the "approved" imagery and video, and content managers can only utilise those "approved" images.
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

By Codee - July 21, 2020

...do you envision of way without the need for javascript?