Fontawesome 6

3 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: June 26, 2020   (RSS)

By KennyH - June 9, 2020

FontAwesome 6 is coming out soon, but one new feature they have released now is Kits. Instead of using a CDN or downloading all fonts, you can create a Kit for each project. To use the kit, it's just one line of script reference code to put in your head. From that point, I always have the latest icons available for use without having to upgrade.

In CMSB, I deleted from the lib/menus/header.php file (line 37-38):

<link href="<?php echo CMS_ASSETS_URL ?>/3rdParty/font-awesome/css/all.min.css" rel="stylesheet">
<link href="<?php echo CMS_ASSETS_URL ?>/3rdParty/font-awesome/css/v4-shims.min.css" rel="stylesheet">

And replaced it with the same Kit code as referenced in my main CSS file for the website

<script src="https://kit.fontawesome.com/xxxxxxxxxx.js" crossorigin="anonymous"></script>

Everything works great so far. I am hoping that future releases could implement using a Kit instead of having to upgrade the icon packages each time you want access to the latest icons. 

Am I missing anything else with using the kit instead of hosting the files myself?

Kenny H

By Toledoh - June 26, 2020

FA6 also looks to allow us to add our own SVG's. 

It would be cool to somehow utilise this not only in the styling of the backend, but also give users the ability to use them in the editing of the site content.   

Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)