Is there a way to add Sample Section Generatory parentCategory functionality to an existing section?

5 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: June 5, 2020   (RSS)

By celuch - May 31, 2020

Is there a way to add parentCategory functionality (as in sample section generator) to an existing section?  I need to list many variants of different prodcuts that will have unique images, description and pricing and this could work. Or is there  a better way to do this?  I'm not sure what to search the form for to find this.

celuch

By Damon - June 2, 2020

Hi,

Is there a way to add parentCategory functionality (as in sample section generator) to an existing section?  

Not automatically. You may be able to manually add all the Category menu system fields but I'm not sure this would work.

I need to list many variants of different products that will have unique images, description and pricing and this could work. Or is there  a better way to do this? 

1. Are the products going to be sorted by categories?

2. How many levels of categories?

3. What would be an example of how you want to display the products? index of all? index by category, etc.?

Let us know and then we can suggest some options for getting those results.

Cheers,
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By Damon - June 4, 2020

Hi,

Perhaps my question should have been can you and how do you set the field type to parentCategory, in particular.   If I can do that I believe the rest will work?

You will need to do more than just create a parentCategory field. Changing to a category menu section editor won't work if it doesn't have all the fields it needs and isn't set to be a category menu section editor.

'menuType' => 'category',

In the /data/schema/ folder, open both category menu ini file and the multi-record ini file that you want to make into a category menu section editor in a code editor.

Add the category menu fields as needed as well as any other specific settings in the schema for the category menu section editor. If you have all the fields and options needed for a category menu section editor, this should change it into that but note, I haven't tried this fully.

Also, you definitely should make a backup of your database and section editor schemas before making any changes.

After you have it set up it to be a category menu, create a new record to get the Parent Category dropdown appearing.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By celuch - June 5, 2020

Thanks, Damon

Will give it a try, and if it is above my pay grade will pull you in.

celuch