Permalinks 1.09 Released

By daniel - April 15, 2019

Hi all,

We've just released a new version of the Permalinks plugin: https://www.interactivetools.com/plugins/permalinks/

NOTE: This version requires CMSB v3.51

This new release has a number of improvements, updated redirect behaviour, simplified generated .htaccess code, and the ability for Update Tables to repopulate the Permalinks DB from existing permalink fields. Check out the plugin changelog for full details.

Let me know any questions or comments!

Daniel
Technical Lead
interactivetools.com

By kitsguru - April 16, 2019

1. In the change log it references multi-value urls. What is the use case for this?
  2. Autopopulate_skip words: https://onlinemediamasters.com/why-you-shouldnt-remove-stop-words-from-urls/
  3. What do you mean by 301 redirects are not longer cached? Do you mean that the redirect from the old to the new is no longer in the database? This would be a bad thing. Am I missing something?
Jeff Shields

By kitsguru - April 16, 2019 - edited: April 16, 2019

One thing I would like to see in the plugin is the ability to combine fields but separate with a slash as well as a space. For instance I have a content_type plus title that I would like to have as

content_type:label/title - in this case I want the label.

I don't see that this needs to be a separate plugin as suggested in another post as it could be part of autopopulate_fromFields. Currently if you add a slash, that combination is ignored and the next one is used.

Jeff Shields

By daniel - April 16, 2019

Hi Jeff,

We discussed a few of these already, but I'll answer in full for the benefit of anyone reading:

In the change log it references multi-value urls. What is the use case for this?

This was a fix for custom defined permalinks where the "Custom Target URL" uses multi-value parameters, e.g. "?name[]=value1&name[]=value2"; previously these values were being parsed incorrectly. It might have been a bit more clear to label this a bugfix than "added support".

Autopopulate_skip words:https://onlinemediamasters.com/why-you-shouldnt-remove-stop-words-from-urls/

Thanks for bringing this to our attention - I also did a bit of searching and it looks like there's no longer a penalty by Google for including stopwords in Permalinks. We may consider removing the stopwords altogether in a future release, though in the meantime it should be safe to simply empty out that array to disable the functionality.

What do you mean by 301 redirects are not longer cached?

We made some changes to how we process the 301 redirects so that they should no longer be cached by the browser. 

One thing I would like to see in the plugin is the ability to combine fields but separate with a slash as well as a space.

I'll forward this on to the team as a feature request, thanks for the input! 

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Cheers,

Daniel
Technical Lead
interactivetools.com

By daniel - April 16, 2019

Hi Jeff,

A quick update on your request to add slashes to autopopulate_fromFields: we've come up with what should be a fairly simple way to preserve slashes in the generated permalinks, however, also adding the ability to use list field labels as you specify in your use case is far less trivial. Would you find it useful to have the preserved slashes functionality on its own without the label support? If so I can implement that relatively quickly and provide instructions on how to patch it into the current version. Otherwise, we can keep the whole feature in the request queue.

Thanks,

Daniel
Technical Lead
interactivetools.com

By kitsguru - April 17, 2019 - edited: April 17, 2019

doing the slash only for now would be great, then using the label can remain in the queue. I have a use case for real estate listings where city/address would be perfect.

Jeff Shields

By kitsguru - April 17, 2019

another use case is date_field/title for blog and events, but need to format the date yyyy-mm-dd

Jeff Shields