Hiding fields in non admin records when admins are viewing records

9 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 9, 2019   (RSS)

By gkornbluth - March 29, 2019

Hi All,

I'm having a memory issue (me not on a web site)

I've got a number of admin only fields in the accounts section and to reduce clutter I'd love to hide those fields from any records that don't have admin access when admins are looking at a number of records.

I thought that there was a way to hide fields unless an admin was accessing other admin's records, but I can't seem to remember where to find that functionality.

Anyone with a better memory?

Thanks,

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By gregThomas - April 1, 2019

Hey Jerry,

I think you're looking for the  'Access Level' feature for a field. You can change the access level for a field by doing the following:

• Go to the Section Editors Menu.
  • 'Modify' the section you want to update.
  • 'Modify' the field you want to hide from non-admin users.
  • When editing a field, scroll down to the Advanced Options area and under the field attributes change the Access level to Admin Only (see attached screenshot for an example).

Let me know if you've got any questions.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By gkornbluth - April 1, 2019 - edited: April 1, 2019

Hey Greg,

Thanks for looking at this.

Actually I want to do something different.

I have a number of fields in an accounts section that are applicable to admins only. 

I know I can hide those fields from non admins with access levels

What I'm trying to do is...

1) When an admin is logged in, I want those fields to be available to them when viewing another admin record.

2) However I'd like to hide those same fields, even from admins, when they're viewing a non admin record.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Jerry Kornbluth

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By gregThomas - April 2, 2019

Hey Jerry,

Thanks for clarifying, I understand what you're trying to accomplish now. 

Unfortunately, there isn't a way you can do this with the default version of CMS Builder, but we could build a plugin that adds this functionality fairly easily. If this is something you'd be interested in, you can send an e-mail to consulting@interactivetools.com we can write up a brief outline of how the plugin would work along with an estimated cost.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By gkornbluth - April 2, 2019

Thanks Greg,

Appreciate you're sticking with this.

I'll see if the client will spring for it, or if they'll be happy with just assigning those field's access to 'admins only' and putting them at the bottom of the section field list.

Jerry

By kitsguru - April 8, 2019

How about the Show/Hide Dependencies Plus plugin?

Jeff Shields

By gkornbluth - April 8, 2019

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for commenting.

Don't know much about that one. How does it work?

Jerry Kornbluth

By kitsguru - April 9, 2019

With this plugin (it's free) you can show fields dependent on the value of another field.

The readme and sample config file are well documented. 

I use it in a category menu where I have a content-type for page, heading, module, link and divider. It is used to display content and build my navigation bar.

First I set the anyvalue rule to show all common fields.

Then for each of the 5 values, it shows additional fields that apply to that type only.

In your case, set the anyvalue to show all the common fields.

Then set the rule for isAdmin to show those fields. You can have multiple field rules that get chained together.

Jeff Shields