Import ical feed into cmsb and output to rss

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 10, 2019   (RSS)

By willydoit - January 8, 2019

Hi all,

We use a tockify calendar on our website and would like to export events to a rss feed. There doesnt seem to be many programs around that convert ical to rss so wondered if it was possible to use cmsb in the middle to make the conversion.

Can anyone advise if it is possible to automatically import an ical feed into cmsb so that it can be sorted into event date order and produce an rss output of events covering a specific number of days?

Thanks in advance

By Dave - January 10, 2019

Hi willydoit, 

I've pretty sure we've done that before, but I don't have any reusable code.  Basically, you'd need to write some custom code to parse the ical data, and then output it as RSS.  It would take a good few hours of programming.  We can help with that if you like but I'd have a look to see if there any free or automatic options first.

Other options would be to find a premade ical to rss script or service that you could use, or try importing your ical feed into a calendar (such as Google calendar) and seeing if it already had an RSS feed option.  Basically, try to find a service that does it already.  

I did a few searches but couldn't find much that was immediately useful.  I did find this zapier page on getting google calendar into an RSS.  You'd have to experiment though.  

https://zapier.com/apps/google-calendar/integrations/rss/10044/post-new-google-calendar-events-to-an-rss-feed

Hope that helps!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By willydoit - January 10, 2019

Hi Dave,

Already looked at those options, I can import the calendar into google and used the app program to create rss feed butit doesnt do a good job and created links go to google instead of the original calendar.

There is a php script ical2rss I think its called but its old yet may be a starting point,  Ill have a look and post it for your thoughts.