Import ical feed into cmsb and output to rss

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 10, 2019   (RSS)

By Dave - January 10, 2019

Hi willydoit, 

I've pretty sure we've done that before, but I don't have any reusable code.  Basically, you'd need to write some custom code to parse the ical data, and then output it as RSS.  It would take a good few hours of programming.  We can help with that if you like but I'd have a look to see if there any free or automatic options first.

Other options would be to find a premade ical to rss script or service that you could use, or try importing your ical feed into a calendar (such as Google calendar) and seeing if it already had an RSS feed option.  Basically, try to find a service that does it already.  

I did a few searches but couldn't find much that was immediately useful.  I did find this zapier page on getting google calendar into an RSS.  You'd have to experiment though.  

https://zapier.com/apps/google-calendar/integrations/rss/10044/post-new-google-calendar-events-to-an-rss-feed

Hope that helps!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By Dave - January 10, 2019

Hi willydoit, 

I've pretty sure we've done that before, but I don't have any reusable code.  Basically, you'd need to write some custom code to parse the ical data, and then output it as RSS.  It would take a good few hours of programming.  We can help with that if you like but I'd have a look to see if there any free or automatic options first.

Other options would be to find a premade ical to rss script or service that you could use, or try importing your ical feed into a calendar (such as Google calendar) and seeing if it already had an RSS feed option.  Basically, try to find a service that does it already.  

I did a few searches but couldn't find much that was immediately useful.  I did find this zapier page on getting google calendar into an RSS.  You'd have to experiment though.  

https://zapier.com/apps/google-calendar/integrations/rss/10044/post-new-google-calendar-events-to-an-rss-feed

Hope that helps!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By willydoit - January 10, 2019

Hi Dave,

Already looked at those options, I can import the calendar into google and used the app program to create rss feed butit doesnt do a good job and created links go to google instead of the original calendar.

There is a php script ical2rss I think its called but its old yet may be a starting point,  Ill have a look and post it for your thoughts.