future of spellcheck for TinyMCE

4 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 8, 2019   (RSS)

By Deborah - January 7, 2019

Hi. This question is for the Interactive Tools team...

Are there plans to integrate a built-in spellchecker again for TinyMCE? There was mention of using PHP's Enchant in this post of 07/2017:
https://www.interactivetools.com/forum/forum-posts.php?postNum=2240941#post2240941

I upgraded a client to 3.15 and they lost their spellcheck. Only workaround I know of is to have them install or enable a spellchecker in their browser. Is that right?

(Oddly, I've never installed a spellchecker in any of my three browsers and they all have spellcheck capability. Hmm.)

~ Deborah

By daniel - January 7, 2019

Hi Deborah,

I'm not sure how far Dave got in his research into the PHP Enchant module, but whether or not we are able to build Enchant support into a future CMSB version, it will depend on whether or not each individual web server also has the appropriate libraries installed, and so I would recommend also being aware of other spell checking options.

Firstly, as you noted, most browsers do support native spell checking. In the latest version of CMSB, TinyMCE should be configured to allow this native behaviour to function. I was able to use browser spellcheck in current IE, Chrome, and FireFox, using CMSB v3.50, so this may be a local issue with the computer your client is using.

Alternately, it may also be worth looking into browser plugins/add-ons. I personally use Grammarly (https://grammarly.com/).

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Thanks,

Daniel
Technical Lead
interactivetools.com

By Deborah - January 8, 2019

Dave, thanks for the explanation. That direction taken for CMSB makes perfect sense.

I've just learned that the client who inquired is using Safari browser. I don't have that browser, but sent instructions for menu settings:
Edit > Spelling and Grammar > Check Spelling While Typing

My Chrome, Firefox, and MS Edge all seem to have spellcheck built in, so possibly only Safari has that disabled by default.

~ Deborah