CMSB v3.16 Beta 1 (Free CMS & PHP 7+)

15 posts by 8 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 27, 2018   (RSS)

By Dave - December 10, 2018

Hi All!

We've just released v3.16 beta 1 (beta list members will get an email shortly). 

This beta is mostly a maintenance release, but two major new changes: 

Free CMS Builder - We no longer require the "Powered By CMSB" footer on unlicensed versions.  This effectively means you can use CMSB without paying a license fee and get all the same functionality as the paid version (except for private labeling).  It's been a long time dream of ours to make CMS Builder available to as many people as possible and we're very grateful to all our clients and supporters who have made that possible.   Note that the brandable "private-label" version still require a purchased license, and we'll likely create some upgrade/download by donation forms for users that still want to contribute to the development.

Upcoming PHP 7 Requirements - As of the end of the year PHP 5.6 and PHP 7.0 are getting discontinued.  That means they won't even get security updates.  Accordingly, future versions of CMSB will require PHP 7.1 or better.  So if you haven't yet upgraded your server, this is a great time of year to do it.  Let me know if you need any help.  Note: This isn't required yet, but will be soon.  The currently version requires PHP 5.6.

And here's the complete changelog: 

BUG FIXES & MINOR CHANGES
- WYSIWYG: Updated TinyMCE from v4.7.2 to v4.9.0 (Released 2018-11-27)
- WYSIWYG: Fixed issue where tinymce cache files weren't getting saved in data folder
- Removed "Powered By" branding that was automatically added to footer of unlicensed versions
- Improved support for automatic image orientation on upload using ImageMagick
- File Uploading: Uploader now reports mime type on forbidden file errors (for debugging)
- Prevent "Copy of" from being added to separator field labels when using Save and Copy plugin
- Misc Code and other minor improvements.

If you're not already on the beta tester email list and you'd like to get notified of upcoming betas you can sign up here: http://www.interactivetools.com/news/manage.php

And you can download the latest beta here: https://www.interactivetools.com/order/download.php

Please post any feedback, questions, or bugs you find! 

Thanks! :)

Dave Edis - Senior Developer

interactivetools.com

By KennyH - December 11, 2018

Do you still have the upgraded FontAwesome 5+ on the roadmap?

By gkornbluth - December 13, 2018

Hi All,

Any chance that 'insert new field here' functionality will be on the drawing board soon so we don't have to drag new fields to their final location after creating them?

Thanks,

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By mark99 - December 13, 2018

I'd second gkornbluth's suggestion, when you have a lot of fields it can become quite tedious to drag them up over many others.

By Deborah - December 13, 2018

This beta works for me.

I tested the following:

• Improved support for automatic image orientation Thank you for this - I've had several recent client issues with image orientation. I tested with two images whose orientation wasn't corrected in 3.15 and they were with the beta.
  • File Uploading
  • Prevent "Copy of" 

And I also agree with gkornbluth's suggestion.

~ Deborah

By Codee - December 15, 2018

Yes! the modification to the graphic rotation was really needed. Thank you!

I fourthly agree with Jerry's suggestion regarding "insert field here".  Most of the sites I build have lengthy section pages on the backend...and 1 of the biggest drawbacks is dragging new fields through tens, so hundreds, of the other fields. THAT would be terrific...even moreso than the sitemap creator suggestions in the past (though THAT would still be awesome).

Thank you!

By Steve99 - December 18, 2018

Another vote for Jerry's suggestion.

Minor note, the overview page shows as 3.16 but the software download and changelog shows 3.50.

By Dave - December 18, 2018

Thanks everybody for the great feedback, testing and suggestions! 

We've officially released this version and and announced it here:
https://www.interactivetools.com/forum/forum-posts.php?CMSB-v3.50-Released---FREE-VERSION-81503

@KennyH, I've added FontAwesome 5 to the list for the next release.

@Mark99, Yes, we'll be supporting all future PHP versions.

@Deborah, thanks very much for the testing!

@Steve99, I fixed that typo on the website, thanks!

@gkornbluth and others, I've added "insert record here" to the list for the next release

Thanks again everybody!  Please feel free to create a new thread or email me if you need anything.

Dave Edis - Senior Developer

interactivetools.com

By gkornbluth - December 18, 2018

And thank you Dave and all the folks at Interactive Tools for creating and maintaining the best CMS platform out there, and for appreciating our suggestions!

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php