Extremely slow database backup times from within CMSB. Averaging 11 secs each attempt.

4 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 20, 2018   (RSS)

By Codee - August 16, 2018

Hello IT,

I've been running CMSB v3.12 for a while on a newer site. Tonight I went to backup the database and it took like 10.4 seconds. I was like "is my Internet glitching" but it's not. I ran the backup function several times and couldn't get it under 10. seconds. The average was around 11 seconds.  I tried other functions, logging out and logging back in (only 0.08s) , trying another browser, and CMSB seemed to be running as fast as normal EXCEPT every time I tried a manual backup it took about 11 seconds.  So, I upgraded to CMSB3.14 to see if that could help...but same issue exists.  Any thoughts on this?

By daniel - August 17, 2018

Hello,

Backup time can be dependant on a number of factors, and on its own, a slow backup is not necessarily a big concern. If the site has a large number of tables/data then backups can take a fair amount of time without impacting overall site performance.

A couple things you can look at:

• When was the last time you made a manual backup? How long did it take? 
  • How big are the backup files? Have they increased drastically in size at some point?

If there has been a gradual increase in backup time/backup size then that can be expected for most sites as the database grows in size.

If there has been a spike in backup time that corresponds with a similar increase in backup size, then this is also expected performance, but it could also be a good idea to try to locate specifically what caused it. E.g. if the client imported a large number of records in a short period, this is normal. But if something has caused a log table to balloon in size it could be a good idea to track down why.

If there has been a spike in backup time but no significant change in backup size, then that could indicate an underlying server performance issue.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Thanks,

Daniel
Technical Lead
interactivetools.com

By Dave - August 20, 2018

Hi equinox, 

Can you let me know:

• the file size and backup time in seconds for a backup done on the old server and the new one?
  • what is the monthly price & plan for the new hosting server? 

Once we rule out those two issues we can see what else might be the cause.

Let me know, thanks!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com