Dragging a category menu item past a large category

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 29, 2018   (RSS)

By garyhoffmann - March 29, 2018

I'm having a problem on a customer that we are just about to go live with.  They have a "SPECIALS" category which is a top-level category.  They have a PRODUCTS category which has several levels of sub-categories under it.  There are approximately 200 sub-categories and/or products under products in the category menu.  We then added a new page called SPECIALS 2018.  Of course, this page adds under the products.  We now need to move SPECIALS 2018 up above PRODUCTS.  Every time we try to drag the SPECIALS 2018 page up, once we get to the top of browser window, the program "drops" SPECIALS 2018 and puts it back under PRODUCTS.  We don't seem to have the ability to drag it up and have the category menu auto-scroll (in older versions it did).

We also tried to drag PRODUCTS below, but ended up in the same situation - products would drop when we reached the bottom of the browser window and would drop above the SPECIALS 2018 page.

If I recall, in the past, there was a "sweet spot" at the top and bottom of the browser window that would automatically scroll the category menu.

What is the recommended way to handle this?

BTW this is with 3.12

Thanks in advance,

Gary.

By Damon - March 29, 2018

Hi Gary,

With that many records, dragging won't be ideal.

What about taking another approach and reducing the number of records to drag past by using a search query?

Setup a custom search option under the Searching tab for that section editor. Use something like this:

_all_
Name|name|keyword

The default search is searching everything but when you click the More.. link on the section editor page, you can search the Name field by keyword. 

Search the Name field for Specials and it should return the SPECIALS category and the SPECIALS 2018 category. Now you can drag the SPECIALS 2018 category to the top.

I tested this out and it works for me. Does this sound like an option?

Cheers,
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/