Preview feature - list page & detail page differences

8 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 24, 2018   (RSS)

By Deborah - January 22, 2018

Hello.

Are the page previews that are accessed by selecting the 'Preview' button when editing a record available for list pages as well as detail pages? Some sections don't require a detail page and my client is expecting an updated preview prior to publishing.

After editing the title (textfield) of an existing record for a list of documents, the title change is not showing in the preview.

EXAMPLE:
In the editor setup, I have '/documents/index.php' indicated for both List page and Detail page URLs.

The preview button takes me to this preview URL:
/documents/index.php?preview-9999999999

Other than disabling the preview, is there a different URL or custom preview page I could set up to achieve this? Maybe it can't be done?

Thanks for any help.
Deborah

By Dave - January 22, 2018

Hi Deborah, 

Any saved changes should be showing.  And you can specify a specific preview page by entering it's url under: 

CMS Setup > Section Editors > Your Section > Viewer URLs > Preview Page Url

Hope that helps, let me know if you're still having issues.

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By Deborah - January 22, 2018

Hi, Dave.

Saved changes show in "preview" just fine. However, there's no need to "preview" something already saved, just a record actively being edited BEFORE it is saved... which is how I'm interpreting the term "preview". What other type of "preview" would there be?

Just like in this forum when I click the 'Preview' button, I'm looking at what will be posted, not what has been posted.

Deborah

By Dave - January 23, 2018

Hi Deborah, 

I'm still not totally clear, but here's some more info.  Basically, the "Preview" button on the CMS "list" page just opens the list page viewer in a new window.  Because you can't really make any changes on the list page that aren't saved right away (which happens when you drag sort or delete a record).

Is it a single-record or multi-record section you are editing?  And are you saying that when you make a change to a field and click "Preview" before you click "Save" it's not showing the updated info?

interactivetools.com

By Deborah - January 23, 2018

Hi, Dave. Sorry about not being clear on that... I tried.

Is it a single-record or multi-record section you are editing?  And are you saying that when you make a change to a field and click "Preview" before you click "Save" it's not showing the updated info?

This is a multi-record section. When a change is made to an existing record field, the 'Preview' shown using the 'Preview' button within the CMSB interface does not show the update made to that field.

Please see attached screenshot sequence.

~ Deborah

Attachments:

preview.jpg 315K

By Deborah - January 23, 2018

Dave,

Did not use experimental code. Used code straight from 'Create a Viewer' CMS Setup > Code Generator > List Page in version 3.12.

Looking forward to your findings.

~ Deborah

By Dave - January 24, 2018

Hi Deborah, 

Ok, I see what's happening. 

Yes, the list page doesn't show edited content, so you'd need to create a custom "view record" page and set that as the preview url.

Since the page only exists for mockup/preview purposes you can even add some content to indicate that is the case, but still have it give them a sense of what the final output will look like.

Hope that helps!

interactivetools.com