Google API's & Intranet/Local Test

6 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 13, 2017   (RSS)

By jenolan - July 3, 2017

I do a lot of work on non-internet based systems, the 'cmsb/lib/menus/header.php' tries to load from 'googleapis.com' problem of course is that there is no access and it has to time out multiple times for each of the fonts & javascript.

Could we please have a setting in the control panel  that will tell the system NOT to try and do stuff over the internet.

Thanks
Larry

---
<?= "Jenolan(Larry) :: Coding Since 1973" ?>
Peace and Long Life

By Dave - July 4, 2017

Hi Larry, 

There's a fallback in the code: 

<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.3/jquery.min.js"></script>
  <script>window.jQuery || document.write('<script src="<?php echo CMS_ASSETS_URL ?>/3rdParty/jquery-1.11.2.min.js"><\/script>')</script>

Does that not work?  Or is the issue just that it's slow?  

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By jenolan - July 4, 2017

S-L-O-W ... hugely ;-)

Also, the fonts don't have a fallback, went and looked. When it gets me grumpy I mod the file to remove the external calls but obviously that only works to the next update and then it goes slow again.

Cheers
Larry

---
Peace and Long Life

By Dave - July 5, 2017

Hmm, ok. Do the computers have no network access, or no internet access?  I'm wondering about the javascript method navigator.isOnline?
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/NavigatorOnLine/onLine

As we go along there are more and more internet related services which add value to the software (spellcheck, etc).  Perhaps an option like one of the following under: Admin > General > Advanced Settings

- Offline Mode [_] Use local resources whenever possible instead of Content Deliver Networks or remote resources (for offline installations)

Or

- Use CDNs [X] Use Content Delivery Networks and other internet hosted resources when possible to speed up page loading time (eg: jquery, etc)

I'll work on the wording and add that to the next release.  Let me know any feedback and places in the code you update if other than jquery.

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By jenolan - July 5, 2017 - edited: July 5, 2017

Your solution is exactly what the doc ordered ;-)

The main problem (for me) is that the intranet stuff is sitting with a connection but it is low bandwidth, like old dial up, so remote downloading fonts/js etc really hurts ... we all need fibre! 

---
Peace and Long Life