How do I reuse a single upload multiple times rather than storing multiple copies?

5 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 11, 2017   (RSS)

By terryally - October 1, 2017

Hi,

I need to list PDF documents across multiple pages. Rather than having to upload multiple copies of the same document, is there a way to link to one single document? At the moment, I have an upload field for umlimited number of uploads in each record of a Multi Editor which ideally I would like to keep because it keeps an association with the page.

The only other way I can think of is to create separate upload records database with keywords, so as to filter which documents go on which page according to a unique key ... which then is problematic because I will want to use across more than one page so the filter would not work.

Is there a way to achieve this in CMSB?

Here is an illustration of how it is vs how I would like it to be:

CURRENT SITUATION

• Page 1 - FactoryDrawingZ.pdf
  • Page 7 - FactoryDrawingZ_001.pdf
  • Page 16 - FactoryDrawingZ_002.pdf

PREFERRED SITUATION

• Page 1 - FactoryDrawingZ.pdf
  • Page 7 - FactoryDrawingZ.pdf
  • Page 16 - FactoryDrawingZ.pdf

Thanks

Terry

By terryally - October 3, 2017

Hi mizrahi,

Thanks for shedding light on this.

I created a separate section editor and then dumped that into a dropdown list ... but then I had to comb through scores of documents so I quickly dropped the idea. I've settled for duplicating.

Regards

Terry

By Dave - October 4, 2017

mizrahi: I'm made a note of your feature request.

terryally: For future, check out adding a "Related Records" field with an Add button.  It's a bit more complicated but lets you associate different types of records together.  Say you had 2 sections: companies and locations, you could create another section called companiesToLocations which had fields: num, companyNum, locationNum where those last two fields are pulldowns.  Then in companies you add a related records field that lists companiesToLocations where company num is equal to the current company num.

Let me know next time you want to try that and I can give more of an example.

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By moh3 - October 11, 2017

I second Mizrahi, suggestion:

- File manager althought i hooked one up,

- Matrix field where you are free to add unlimited fields to create tabular data under or accordions under one record