Preview page (without being live)

9 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: July 18, 2017   (RSS)

By Kittybiccy - June 22, 2017

Hi guys,

Is there a way of the preview button displaying a preview which isn't live.
ie. a client wants to add to a record but preview the page without the public seeing it or add to a record and then save it until approved but not make live.

A plugin we could add/is this at all possible?

Thanks,
Hannah

By Dave - June 22, 2017

Hi Hannah, 

The preview button doesn't save the record, it just previews it.  So it's not live when you preview it.  So it doesn't "publish" the record until you save your changes.  You can test this by making some changes, clicking Preview, and then viewing the live site in a different browser window.

Does that answer your question? 

Dave Edis - Senior Developer

interactivetools.com

By Dave - June 26, 2017

Hi Hannah, 

No, we don't have anything pre-built that does that.  We've built a number of custom solutions before where one or more people can authorize a change before it goes live, so custom building something is an option, but there's no built in functionality that provides that feature.

One low-cost way that you could do something like that would be to have another section called "Pending Approval" where you posted content that needed to be approved, and then have the editors copy and paste it over into the actual section once it was approved.  Or another way to do the same thing is just to add another set of fields to the section you're working with for "pending updates" and let people review them in the CMS before copying them over.

Hope that helps.  

interactivetools.com

By Damon - June 26, 2017

Hi,

Another way to do this is to have a Hidden checkbox set to default. Users can add the content and the content is hidden until someone else reviews it and unchecks the hidden checkbox.

Cheers,
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By Kittybiccy - June 27, 2017

Hi Dave,

To be honest it all sounds a bit complicated for our client but please could you email me with an idea of time/cost for doing something custom?
They won't want to have to copy and paste anything and because the records change page to page I think it would be complicated to build 'hidden' pages for each. They simply want to input the content and then the preview button save but not make live so that another user can then log in and preview it.

Thanks!

By Dave - June 27, 2017

Hi Hannah, 

Sure thing.  Can you fill out your contact info and details here and we can get you a quote ASAP.

https://www.interactivetools.com/hire-us/

Thanks

interactivetools.com

By Kittybiccy - July 17, 2017

Hi guys,

We kind of left this as it was but the client is now chasing me. They are making changes to a record and pressing the preview button so they can then take a screen grab to show around and double check info is correct however they've found that when they then leave the page, without pressing save, the content is displayed on the live site so they are getting in trouble for things being seen before approval!

I've told them for now just to make sure the content is deleted if they are going to leave the record but they are just asking me to get in touch and see if there's anything we can do and why it would show on the live site if they are not pressing save?

Thanks!

By Dave - July 18, 2017

Hi Kittybiccy, 

Uploads might go live right away, the rest of the content shouldn't.  Maybe you could create a duplicate section where they could post pending content?  

interactivetools.com