CMS setup tips and tricks

5 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 26, 2017   (RSS)

By zip222 - May 25, 2017

I was thinking it would be interesting to have a place to share some of the methods we use when setting up our sites as a way to learn from each other. I will start with something that works well for me...

I created a single page editor called something like "Global Items". This editor includes a wide variety of common items that are used throughout the site, so example:

- Company Name
- Address info
- Phone numbers and email addresses
- Social Media URLs
- Copyright statement for footer
- Google Analytics code
- Media Contact info

As well as one-off items that I frequently need...
- "Thanks for contacting us..." message
- "Sorry, there are no jobs currently available" message

Then I connect to this editor on every single page of the site, which allows me to use these items as needed.

By Ryan - May 26, 2017

I do the same thing. I've extended mine to include the ability to select style sheets, layout options, site logo etc.

By Toledoh - May 26, 2017

I do similar, plus I have a category based section for pages. I use this to manage the page structure of the site and drive the navigation, seo aspects etc.   Each page then refers to a "panels" section that I use to include items on each page, either directly with text fields etc, or via includes that I use to insert modular sections like news articles, blogs, shopping, forms etc. 

Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

By Deborah - May 26, 2017

For many CMSB setups I create a special 'Admin Only' section editor just for my own use. There I post custom-styled snippets of instruction code that I use for the separators in the section editors or any specifics/notes for that client's installation. It's nice to have all of that in one place in the CMS, instead of on my local computer.

~ Deborah