Move "/uploads" folder outside "/public_html" folder

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 19, 2016   (RSS)

By Damon - October 18, 2016

Hi Greg,

You can move the uploads folder out of the cmsb folder by changing the Upload Directory and Upload Folder URL under Admin > General Settings. Then copy all the upload folder contents to the new location.

This works for uploads using an upload field. If you have uploads that have been uploaded in a WYSIWYG editor, the URL path is saved in the record contents and would have to be updated individually or by a search and replace via mySQL.

For moving the uploads folder outside of your /public_html folder, I'm not sure how this would work. There wouldn't be a Upload Folder URL that you could enter in the CMS Builder settings that would work and you wouldn't be able to display images or links to files that are outside theĀ /public_html folder.

Could you limit the file types that can be uploaded to prevent malicious files?

Cheers,
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By gversion - October 19, 2016

Hi Damon,

Thanks for the message. I had overlooked the fact that files wouldn't be publicly accessible if they are moved outside the "public_html" folder. I think I will need to just apply other security measures like, as you suggested, restricting the file types that can be uploaded.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Greg