Help with creating an rss feed to submit to Apple news

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: July 6, 2016   (RSS)

By JeffC - June 30, 2016

Has anyone on this forum tried this yet? I have submitted a feed to Apple and it has been rejected, but their feedback is not particularly informative, simply: at least one feed isn't functional

Can someone take me back to basics with RSS. If I use the RSS code generator should I simply save this file as myfeed-rss.php and upload that to Apple?

Thanks

Jeff

By JeffC - July 1, 2016

I've had some feedback from Apple. Apple suggested I use the W3C Validator to check my feed. This is what I found.

1. Permalinks may be causing an issue. guid must be a full URL, unless isPermaLink attribute is false:
It sounds like I have two options here: use a full URL or set isPermaLink to false: as my main site uses permalinks, my guess is that is should be left as True so I have added the prefix to the permalink 

ie change this:

<guid isPermaLink="true">/sectionname/permalink/</guid>

to this:

<guid isPermaLink="true">http://domain.co.uk//sectionname/permalink/</guid>

2. Line-breaks and returns at the end of a text field cause problems: Undefined title element: br
When a user creates a record they often inadvertently leave a carriage return at the end of the line. Probably most common when a user is copying from a word.doc and the like. 

Deleting the <br> from the title field fixed the error. I had to manually delete loads of <br> tags though. Educating the user to check for them before posting would be a solution - not sure how practical that would be though!

Perhaps a solution would be to develop a plugin that shows invisible characters on certain field? A user would be much more include to delete something that they can actually see

I have made the above changes and my feed now validates. I have uploaded it to Apple and will post my results here. (May take a few weeks)

Jeff