Code Generator

• Archived  

By Toledoh - July 3, 2016

This would be a good thing to have. 

Would we start with the /lib/menus/_codeGenerator/detailPage.php, renaming it and saving it as a plugin, then editing to produce a simple form?

We would require the "Select Section", but not "Which Record".  The "Show Uploads" would also go initially as the file upload function via a form would be too complex?

For the output, we would need 3 for-each loops.

• code to be included to check each field for errors (so each field mandatory by default - but could be simply deleted)
  • code to submit each field to the selected section,
  • code to display the input code for each field, wrapped in a form tag.

It would be good to have file uploads, spam protection, email templates etc, but I expect we can handle that as required.

Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)
  • Archived  

By Twocans - July 4, 2016 - edited: July 4, 2016

hi Tim,

yes all in all it would not need to have uploads, just content input, as I can have the comments plugin, membership, geo plugin etc all on my sites page, but the cms is different feel and offers too much for me to have to explain to my site visitors, thus. content input would not even need to be html type, just a few form fields and textareas, yes these can be created by hand, but to avail of the validation system etc. it would be a very nice addon to have a code generator and I feel it would bring the cms to an entire new level, as the likes of dreamweaver etc is nothing like it used to be (server behaviors no longer really there), it is fairly simple to put if else statements on webpages, but getting the content from site visitors in a way the customer does not actually have to sign into the cms per say would be nice.

all in all were this a plugin I would consider purchasing it, and I feel many others would also.

Kenny

• Archived  

By Dave - July 18, 2016

Hi Guys, 

We've done a few of these internally, but nothing we liked enough to release.  

The simplest implementation would be to create a simple add form with an example of each field type, and then have the code generator repeat that field content for each field.  Wysiwyg and uploads are more advanced, but for the rest of the fields it should be pretty straightforward.  

Issues that come up for us are what to do when fields are added in the CMS (we can't really update the form dynamically, or if we do, it makes it limits styling and customization).

If someone wants to mockup a bootstrap add form with an example of each field type I can turn it into a code generator plugin.  First version would be very basic though (that's a good way to start anyways as it gets released sooner).

Let me know, thanks!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com
  • Archived  

By Toledoh - July 18, 2016

Hey Dave.

Something like the attached OK?

Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)
  • Archived  

By Twocans - July 19, 2016

Morning Dave and Toledoh,

Re the comment "it makes it limits styling and customization" i strongly believe that no styling should be added at all as that may break the over all feel and look what is already been created in a site by the user/web-developer.

i think it would be great to have coe generator output as simple as poss aka, textfield, textbox (definitely not a wysiwyg), listmenu.

regards

kenny 

• Archived  

By Daryl - July 28, 2016

Hi all,

I just want to let you know that I've already started working on this.

For starters, I'm developing plugin functions that will generate a simple add form that inserts a record into the database.
The form code will be as simple as the field label and the HTML code for the field, for now.
And for inserting a new record, I will add simple error checking. ie. required fields must have values.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Daryl Maximo
PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com
  • Archived  

By Twocans - July 29, 2016

Brilliant Daryl thank you,

I do feel there will be a big demand fot it. 

Cheers

Kenny

• Archived  

By Toledoh - July 29, 2016

Great news!  I've got a project on board with a couple of huge forms - will be a blessing to have!

Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)
  • Archived  

By Toledoh - August 10, 2016

Hey Daryl,

How are you going with this?  I'm happy to be a test case :)

Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)