Permalinks and the new demand for separate Mobile Sites.

3 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder: Plugins & Add-ons
Last Post: May 15, 2015   (RSS)

By Toledoh - May 14, 2015

Out of interest, is there a reason you opt for dual sites rather than using a responsive framework?  IMHO a responsive framework is more adaptable to the constant change in device sizes and requires less effort in build and maintenance. i'm no seo expert, but I would expect it would also give better seo results as there's no doubling up on page content and increased page traffic by to mobile and desktops visiting the same page? 

It also negates the need for a change to the permalinks plugin?

Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

By Damon - May 15, 2015

Hi Kenny,

I was further discussing this setup with one of our senior programmers and he had some ideas.

Would it be possible to have the mobile sub-domain point to the same folder as the main site?
Then the permalinks, which don't use the domain name, would work on both the main site and the mobile site.

You could still use different templates for the mobile and main site pages.  For example, after your mobile detection code you could have code to either automatically include the mobile version or main site version template.

Can you reply with links to both mobile version and main site along with what you are currently using for mobile detection?

You can also email me directly at support@interactivetools.com.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/