Irritating Error Message!

7 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 28, 2015   (RSS)

By Perchpole - April 27, 2015

Hello, All -

For the last week I've been trying to weedle out a really annoying error message! The error log keeps filling up with cannot modify header warnings...

E_WARNING: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at blah..../index.php:28)

I've had these before and understand that they are usually an indication of white space in the code before the HTML tag. This one seems to be different because the error is only generated when my client accesses the site!

I simply cannot trigger the message! I tweak here and I tweak there but every day my client visits the site he triggers another error message!

It's so annoying!

I can't understand what is going on?

:0/

Perch

PS. For the record, line 28 mentioned in the error message, is the <title> tag

By gadefgaertgqe - April 27, 2015

Hi Perch,

I am also having a similar issue which I am having problems pinning down, although it is my own custom warning using the CMSB error logging function:

E_USER_NOTICE: Requested URL not found: favicon.ico

I'll follow this thread to see if there are any clues, and will try to look at again. If I find anything I'll let you know.

Paul

By Dave - April 27, 2015

Hi Perch, 

>every day my client visits the site he triggers another error message!

Are you running 2.54+? The build in error logging is designed to help you resolve that exact issue.  It will create a log of all the errors everywhere so you can more easily find and resolve them.

What the "Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by" error means is you're trying to send HTTP headers (cookies, redirects, etc) after sending content to the browser.  

You need to determine the line "output started" (index.php line 28 in this case) and the line the error is on.  What's happening on the line the error is called?  Is it trying to set a cookie, redirect, etc? 

Let me know, thanks!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By gadefgaertgqe - April 27, 2015

Hi Perch,

Yeah, I've already checked for that, it's there. I don't want to hijack this thread, and it looks like Dave has a solution for you. So I have another look and start anew thread if I can;t shift the error.

Thanks

Paul

By Perchpole - April 27, 2015

Hi, Dave -

Thanks for your support. I am running v2.64 - so I have all the error logging reports I can eat!

I understand the theory behind this particular error - I just can't grasp why I cannot trigger it myself. The messages only appear after my client visits the site. When I go to the pages mentioned in the error reports nothing happens. No new error messages are generated.

What's also interesting is that my client never sees any error messages on the actual pages he visits. I thought header problems would be visible on the pages being viewed - but apparently not. The errors only appear on the error log screen.

:o/

Perch

By Dave - April 28, 2015

Hi Perch, 

You may have "Hide PHP Errors" checked under: Admin > General

It's good to resolve errors.  Some are cosmetic only, but some of them actually are errors and can interfere with site functionality.    It doesn't matter if you can't recreate it, we can usually figure out what was going on with the error log info.

If you'd like me to take a look just email me the following to: dave@interactivetools.com

• A link to this thread
  • A link to the error in the error log
  • CMS & FTP login details

NOTE: Never post login details to the forum.  

Thanks!  

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com