Login | Sign up | Toll-Free: 1-800-752-0455

Forum

29 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > Off Topic / Other
Last Post: April 8, 2014

Hey Jerry,

Just wondering how you made out on this.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for asking.

I'm in the middle of switching most of my clients from IXWebHosting to their own shared hosting accounts at BlueHost, since individual autonomous accounts work best for my situation..

IXWebHosting was down for almost a week recently, and I'm concerned about their financial viability going forward (possible law suites, etc.) so I'm helping them to bail out while everything is still in one piece.

IX has also raised their renewal price substantially ($13.95/month for a 2 year renewal), compared to other providers, like BlueHost who charge ($4.95 per month for a 3 year account).

BlueHost doesn't offer free dedicated IP addresses, but other than that, so far, no complaints, and their affiliate program pays $65 per account.

Their tech support (based in Utah) is super, and they were easily able to help me navigate the intricacies of a new cPanel setup and with other details.

There were no issues with setting up CMSB.

BlueHost limits emails to 125 per hour, but I've implemented PHPList, an open source email campaign manager triggered by cron jobs, and that seems to work well for most of my client's needs (emailing CMSB populated web pages as well as email messages).

Hope that helps,

Best,

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!
Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Hi Jerry,

I've actually had good experiences with BlueHost over the years. We, as in my current employer, haven't done anything with BlueHost. However, I've personally worked with BlueHost in years past and also help/helped a couple family members with their business websites on BlueHost shared hosting.

For dealing with email limits RE mailing lists, Dave here at Interactive Tools alerted me to a free SMTP service called Mandrill (http://mandrill.com/) offered by MailChimp.

Best,
Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, and for the tip about Mandrill.

Have you been able to integrate Mandrill with CMSB, or is it still a cut and paste email lists situation?

Thanks,

Jerry Kornbluth

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Jerry,

You can definitely integrate Mandrill's SMTP service with CMSB so it wouldn't be a cut/paste situation.

As of yet, I haven't been presented with a situation for mailing lists where outbound emails have been limited as such. So in terms of completing an integration with CMSB - no I have not. When Dave mentioned that service I created an account and performed some initial discovery, but had basically bookmarked it for future reference.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Has any one else attempted (succeeded) in integrating the 2 programs who would be willing to share what they've learned?

Thanks,

Jerry Kornbluth

Hi Guys,

I use CMSB, newsletter plugin and Mandril constantly, with many of my clients.  I have one client sending 5,000 emails at once, 4 or 5 times a week.  Works great.

Cheers,

Tim Forrest
Toledoh Enterprises
www.toledoh.com.au

By gkornbluth - April 8, 2014 - edited: April 8, 2014

Hi Tim,

Could you explain more of how you have the integration set up?

I've got a number of situations (pre-formatted press release or announcement viewers) that pull data from CMSB records.

I've been sending these out to CMSB record owners who meet specific criteria. I.E. a press release to all print media, or one just to internet based media, or an eblast to Cookbook Subscribers who are up for renewals, etc.

Up to now, I've been generating the filtered lists and sending the web pages either by using Internet Explorer to "send the web page as email" and pasting address groups from the filtered list into the BCC field, or more recently, pasting the entire list into a "campaign" list in PHPList, and letting PHPlist do all the heavy lifting (multiple scheduled preset campaigns from specific lists, throttling to meet the ISP's mailing criteria, progress and process reports, open and click reports, bounce handling, etc.).

It would be great to find a CMSB based solution that automated the sending of pre-formatted emails from the generated list without the cut and paste.

Newsletter Builder seems to be WYSIWYG based and I've never had much luck with WYSIWYG fields and find them pretty cumbersome and quirky.

Unless I'm missing something, It also doesn't seem to be able to handle multiple lists, sort a master list by specific criteria, or schedule mailings for a specific time in the future.

Any insights.

Thanks,

Jerry Kornbluth