Sorting/Searching by zip code - Geocoder?

By csdesign - January 28, 2014

Hello! 

I have a site that needs to be sorted and search by zip code and within a radius of the zip code entered.  Is Geocoder the only option for this? 

I watched the geocoder video and it looks pretty awesome. The thing I'm wondering about is the map display and the pop up comment that appears when you scroll over a location. 

• the maps are automatically created, correct? I know.. seems obvious but I want to be sure. 

• on the pop up comment - can I direct the link to that business member's page on the site?

• while on the map - is it capable of ONLY showing the business member's locations that I have entered - again... kind of a given but I want to be certain. 

This site will be connecting consumers and local services (think angie's list) so as business members sign up, we need consumers to be able to enter their own zip code and find the business members in their area then go to their pages for more info. 

Thanks, Tina

By csdesign - January 28, 2014

Also, can paid advertising banners be connected with the zip codes and zip code radius so they will only display to the consumer within that zip code or radius?

By Mikey - January 28, 2014

Yes - Geocoder can do all of what you mentioned.

By Mikey - January 28, 2014 - edited: January 28, 2014

Also, can paid advertising banners be connected with the zip codes and zip code radius so they will only display to the consumer within that zip code or radius?

No idea... but what I can say that there's nothing I haven't been able to accomplish with CMS Builder on my own or by hiring Interactive Tools to build a solution for me. So I think I can speak confidently on Interactive Tools' behalf and say that this would be a YES too.

But how this would be accomplished may require some special coding to do so.

Zicky

By gregThomas - February 3, 2014

Hi  csdesign,

It would be possible to use the geocoder plugin to display adverts based on proximity. If you have a banner advert section, you could add address and latitude/longitude fields to the it. Then the geocoder plugin would automatically convert the address into latitude /longitude when you create/edit a record.

Then you could use the code generator to create a getRecords function to pull the closest advert record to the customer when they carry out a search.

As Zicky said, if you wanted any help with this feature you can send an e-mail to consulting@interactivetools.com, and we can estimate a price to add this feature to your site for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the plugin.

Cheers!

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By csdesign - February 3, 2014

thank you, Greg!