Upload error for large images

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 12, 2013   (RSS)

By Dave - December 8, 2013

Hi Paul, 

Yes, you're right.  Images are highly compressed files and it's actually the resizing that requires all the memory.  So if you are able to go into the field editor for that section, edit that upload field, and uncheck any options for resizing or thumbnailing.  

If that's not an option, tell your web host you are running out of memory trying to run a PHP script that resizes a 1meg file and you want to know how much memory is allocated to PHP processes and if they can increase it.

Let me know if that works, otherwise we can look into other options such as checking if your host has ImageMagick available.

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By pault - December 9, 2013

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply.  I've worked out that it's not actually the size of the file that's the problem, just the number of pixels.  So, a high quality file that's say 3000 x 2000 pixels and 5Mb would be OK but a lower quality but larger (dimensions) file of say 7,000 x 5,000 but only 1Mb would cause the problem.

The host does have ImageMagick available but I'm not sure how easy it would be to change the CMSB code to use this instead of GD.

Regards, Paul.

By Dave - December 12, 2013

Hi Paul, 

Do you want to email me your FTP & CMS login details to dave@interactivetools.com and we can give it a try?  (Note: Email, don't post login details to the forum).

If a test script shows it's more memory efficient to use ImageMagik we might make that available as an option for future CMSB releases.

Thanks!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com