*** Upcoming Features & Development Plan (Updated Oct 2012)

38 posts by 19 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 13, 2014   (RSS)

• Archived  

By zaba - December 2, 2013

I would love to see some flexibility with layout of cmsb admin, for example the ability to lay fields out in columns rather than just rows. Although this would have to be done intelligently there are probably many ways to achieve this without making the set up complicated.

• Archived  

By In-House-Logic - December 2, 2013 - edited: December 2, 2013

Agreed. This is the kind of thing that's best done via CSS since it's a cosmetic/layout issue. I'd rather not see a set of tables hard-coded as the layout.

The backend area of CMSB is functional but starting to become an issue as more clients are expecting to use mobile devices to maintain their content. Would love to see a move away from tables ... and/or even just hanging some style classes on elements so we could customize the backend a bit. I seem to recall creating a dummied up set of style guides with classes for this a year or so ago.
J.

• Archived  

By Dave - December 2, 2013

Hi Jerry and all,

Regarding a CSS backend, yes we agree that's where it needs to go.  We took on a few too many new features on our last update and it has slowed down the next release that is due.  But yes we need a responsive  design rewrite.

Jerry, if there's some specific places in the code where you want me to add a space I can do that as a short term fix.  Then future releases will either have that or improved CSS.

Thanks!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer

interactivetools.com
  • Archived  

By gkornbluth - December 2, 2013

Dave,

Thanks for the offer, but you've got enough on your plate.

I'll wait til the next release.

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php
  • Archived  

By JeffC - January 11, 2014

Hi Dave

i would like to add myself to the requests for a responsive back end. For me it is becoming crucial as all of my front ends are responsive and clients are sometimes disappointed that the backend isn't.

Just a thought but have you thought about crowd sourcing the development costs. I know that a lot of plugins are a result of custom consulting. I can't afford to pay for you to custom design a backend specifically for me but I would be prepared to make a contribution. I was thinking in the region of $50. Anyone else agree that this is a good idea? Dave would this model work for you guys?

Jeff
  • Archived  

By Brownleather - January 12, 2014

I'm concerned in general about the future of CMSB.

The "Development Plan" thread hasn't been updated in over a year and the last version release was over 9 months ago.

• Archived  

By Dave - January 13, 2014

Hi Guys, 

Thanks for the feedback.  I agree a mobile responsive backend is a good idea and logical next step, and I know it's been a while since we've had a release.  We're working on some big new features (a field library that is as flexible as the plugin system) but I'll see about getting a maintenance release out with whatever has been completed to date.  We know that people like to see progress in the form of frequent releases.

Also, I'm going to lock this thread, keep it for reference, and start a new one once we get the next release out.  We've completed a lot of things since this thread started and I'll re-assess current priorities and user requests.  Feel free to post a new thread yourself if you want to suggest or inquire about anything in the meantime.

Thanks again for all your feedback.  Cheers!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer

interactivetools.com