downloadMail - Downloading email error
I see your Support Ticket email so I will reply to that one for now and post back here after the issue is resolved.
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com
Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
The download mail plugin has been running smoothly for a while, thank you for the previous fix.
We received an email today that is chocking up the parser (see attached)
The error is: Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x8D\x80Ke...' for column 'text' at row 1
I truly appreciate your help
You are doing an amazing job of finding edge cases where the plugin fails. Thanks for that, and sorry it's not working.
This sequence "\xF0\x9F\x8D\x80" is a 4 byte unicode UTF8 symbol for a green leaf clover:
And the problem is, MySQL's version of UTF8 doesn't support these 4 byte characters until version 5.5:
So the simplest option would probably be to just remove 4-byte sequences, other options would be to require MySQL 5.5+ and switch to utf8mb4 encoding.
- What version of MySQL do you have (listed under: Admin > General at the bottom)
- Would it work to just strip out those characters? (They are things like emoji's, smileys, symbols, etc).
Let me know, thanks!
- http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8491431/remove-4-byte-characters-from-a-utf-8-string (we'll use this preg_match code if we strip out 4 byte chars)
There's a post here on how to switch over:
And here on mysql.com:
If you download this free plugin it has an easy interface for entering MySQL commands:
So I'd try the following steps:
- Under: Admin > General: Backup the table "_incoming_mail"
- Check your "Table Prefix" at the bottom of the page (usually cms_)
- In the MySQL Console Plugin enter this (using your table prefix name): ALTER TABLE cms__incoming_mail CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci;
- Note that your table prefix ends with a _ and the _incoming_mail table starts with one. You need two underscores.
- Test downloading mail and check for any problems (if you have problems, restore backup of individual _incoming_mail table
Let me know if that works for you or if you run into any issues.