29 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > Off Topic / Other
Last Post: April 8, 2014   (RSS)

Steve,

Thanks for this.

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the research sharing on hosting. Are you still with hostmysite.com? Are you using CMSBuilder on hostmysite.com?

I am working on a project and will need hosting for CMSBuilder and do not need reseller capabilities. Do you still refer hostmysite.com?

Karen

By Steve99 - November 1, 2013

Hi Karen,

Yes, we are with HostMySite and are using CMSB. Currently we are in the boarding process, transferring our sites from our previous vendor to our platform with HMS.

We've provisioned shared, VPS, and dedicated boxes and have been pleased thus far. As far as their shared hosting goes, we've been told there are the same amount of processes allowed for all shared levels. The difference in pricing is related to storage, databases (and size), and number of email accounts.

The shared hosting accounts utilize external database servers (not localhost). The VPS and dedicated boxes do have localhost, but you have the option to use external database servers.

They use Parallels, and with the Virtuozzo containers you can ramp up resources - also, if you start to outgrow a VPS you can easily have the container moved to a dedicated server.

Steve

Update:
We've experienced an issue this week with an entire server rack being taken down due to a failed network switch. All servers were cut over to switches in an adjacent rack. Fortunately it has only affected one account, however it has now been down for almost 24 hours and they apparently had to put in a support request with their software vendor - Parallels.

Thanks for taking the time to keep all of us in the loop

Jerry Kornbluth

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Sure thing. Having a stable web host is obviously very important. As we are just getting our feet wet with these guys I wanted to provide periodic feedback for the community.

The one shared hosting account that I was referencing is now back online after 29 hours being down. I'm not impressed by their turnaround time on this one at all. I understand that tech issues do happen, and am trying to give them benefit of the doubt, but almost 30 hours of down time... We lucked out that this was a development site.

Haven't had any issues thus far with the dedicated boxes or VPS's though.

Currently 2 months in and have only migrated a small amount of accounts over to test the waters before fully diving in.

Cheers,
Steve

Hey Deborah,

Thanks for the note. I was actually quite interested in LiquidWeb. Their Storm product line with SSD drives look very enticing, and the drives i/o ratings are crazy fast.

Our hosting director was originally drawn to HMS because we were able to get our own full PBA setup (Plesk Business Automation). Their hosting package line up was identical to what we had been providing. Aside from the previous issue I posted about, we haven't had other major issues. However, we are still on the fence about continuing down this path.

I appreciate you taking the time to post back.

Best,
Steve

By gkornbluth - March 4, 2014

Hi Steve,

Our current hosting provider IXWebhosting has been down for over 2 days now, and it's time to get serious about finding another service.

Any updates on your quest and experiences?

Our clients are all on separate shared hosting accounts.

Thanks,

Jerry Kornbluth

By Steve99 - March 4, 2014

Hi Jerry,

Actually, the hosting provider we have been a partner of for many years has shown improvement in the areas of concern which had lead to the start of this thread...

That being said, at this point in time it sounds like we'll be staying with Verio (viaVerio - partner channel), although we do have some sites hosted with two other providers. As far as support goes, being a partner we have a different level of support than front facing retail. You can definitely call them for support being on the retail side, but their support ticket system is outsourced. Being at partner level, we were actually told not to use the ticket system and to call direct every time.

Previously in this thread I mentioned us trying out HMS and being excited about the tools at our disposal. We were discouraged in dealing with system bugs on a regular basis as well as slow resolution times on both major and minor issues. Plans of moving forward with them have been eliminated.

For larger e-commerce sites, we've had great experiences running virtual machines in the cloud with a company called eApps. The VM's run very well and their support is good (we also pay extra per month for faster turnaround). Only thing for us is they're not really geared for partner/resellers and the individual billings would be time consuming for reconciliation. 

Do you have a lot of accounts with IX that you service?

Thanks,
Steve