Development Server URL

5 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 12, 2013   (RSS)

By gversion - October 12, 2013

Hello,

I currently have a copy of cmsBuilder installed on a sub-domain and I use this for development purposes.

I am keen to make use of the new functionality that uses the "Website Prefix URL" setting in "General Settings".

Is there any documentation that explains how to use this correctly? I am not at all clear on how it works...

Thank you for your help.

Greg

By Deborah - October 12, 2013 - edited: October 12, 2013

Hi, Greg.

I'm actually working with this feature today for the first time and think I've got it. The General Settings screen in CMSB does has some instructions and examples. If your site is in cPanel, the following might work for you:

(Where ~username is indicated, for me that is the client's ROOTcpanel username)

Upload Folder URL = /~username/myimagefolder/
Website Prefix URL = /~username

Note that I'm using a custom upload directory, not the standard /uploads/.

All other settings were as usual for me, including the generated code. I'm assuming that when I go live with DNS I'll simply remove '~username'.

Hope that helps.
~ Deborah

By gversion - October 12, 2013

Hi Deborah,

Many thanks for your message. Yes, I am using cPanel and I have a demo username account.

Can you clarify what the development mode enables me to do?

Will it create a copy of cmsBuilder files so I can experiment with plugins?

Does it hook up to a different database so I am not testing with live listings/users and other data...?

I am just trying to understand what functionality it offers and how it should be used.

Thanks again,

Greg

By Deborah - October 12, 2013

Greg,

I think the 'Website Prefix URL' feature is intended for actual website installs that don't have DNS activated. For example, a client with an old website that's still running under their current DNS while you build out their new CMSB on a different server.

If you're wanting to have a separate CMSB & database installation aside from your live site where you can experiment with plugins, etc., I'd say create a separate testing installation and use that. I can't speak for Interactive Tools, but the license agreement with my current version 2.53 reads "You may make one copy for backup, staging, or archival purposes."

~ Deborah