PHP driven genealogy site? (preferably using CMSB)

12 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: September 6, 2013   (RSS)

By gkornbluth - August 26, 2013

Hi All,

Sorry for posting here, but I got no traction when I posted this in the "Off the Topic" area, and I'm getting some prodding  to update our family's Genealogy site.

Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on putting together an easy to style, PHP driven genealogy site? (preferably using CMSB)

I'm not too sure of how to create the relationships between relatives, which sometimes gets really complicated, and I'm not looking to re-invent the entire wheel if I can help it.

WHAT WE HAVE NOW
Our family’s decision was not to go the Family Tree Maker or Ancestry.com route, and about 11 years ago I found a super program called Great families, but unfortunately the publisher has decided not to update the program since then (or release the master files) and the latest (10 year old) version has major issues with Windows 7 and is totally useless to Mac users.

Although it was never perfect, (limited linking of some family member categories, etc.) the nice thing about Great Families is that it created a visual, stretchable, and searchable block diagram showing how the (roughly 600)  family members are connected. (unfortunately using Flash).

Before I start down the road, I thought I’d ask.

Thanks,

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By gkornbluth - August 26, 2013

Thanks Larry,

Looks like TNG has interesting possibilities, especially in the graphical areas.

I'll look it over in the next few days. I'm sure I'll have some questions.

Thanks again for caring enough to answer this

Jerry Kornbluth

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By jenolan - August 26, 2013

I keep flitting in and out of doing family history stuff, Darrin is a very helpful chap and the software is really nice, now if I was only on broadband it would be purrfect ;-)

---
<?= "Jenolan(Larry) :: Coding Since 1973" ?>
Peace and Long Life

By gregThomas - August 27, 2013

Hi Jerry,

If you wanted to use CMS Builder, what about using a category system to create the tree structure? You could have the children of each relative as sub categories. You could have a drop down for each relative that would allow you to select how they entered the family (a child of another relative or through marriage). This would also allow you to change the structure of the tree easily as you moved relatives around and new members were added.

You could then use an html list to display the data in a collapsible menu on the front end of the site, or you could use a canvas or SVG system to create an actual tree structure. 

Cheers

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By gkornbluth - August 27, 2013

Thanks Greg,

I think I can get the best of both worlds to work and play well together, but want to take a closer look at TNG before making any decisions.

I'm guessing that TNG has done a lot of the detailed heavy lifting already, and I'm going to try using as much of it as I can.

I'll post my progress (or lack thereof) here.

Jerry Kornbluth

Hi Larry,

Have you ever encountered this error after installing TNG on a site that also has CMSB installed?

It occurs on all pages including the Admin page.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /hsphere/local/home/a887307/pollick.net/cmsAdmin/lib/field_class.php on line 7

(I also posted a new thread on the forum a few minutes ago)

Jerry Kornbluth

By jenolan - August 27, 2013

Mine is running under Wordpress .. I am a long way from resurrecting JLogica my current project takes most of my time.

Assuming you have it installed under a different directory can't see why it would bork though .. send me an email with url and ftp (et al) access and I will have a gander my name at jenolan dot org

---
<?= "Jenolan(Larry) :: Coding Since 1973" ?>
Peace and Long Life

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the offer.

Based on all the testing and re-uploading of files that I've done, I have a feeling that this is database related and that something got corrupted totally separate from TNG

I hope that one of the Gurus at IT, or someone else sees these posts and has an approach, short of doing a clean install, rebuilding the tables from the php.ini files and then restoring an older database  backup.

Until then, I'll continue to muck around and will contact you again.

Jerry Kornbluth

By gkornbluth - September 6, 2013 - edited: September 7, 2013

Hi All,

ERROR

OK, the problem above has been solved. It turned out to be a version of PHP on the server which was incompatible with CMSB Version 2.53.

Strange because the site was working before and running 2.53.

Only thing that I can think of is that the web host re-installed PHP because of an issue, and installed an older version by mistake.

TNG GENEALOGY SOFTWARE http://www.tngsitebuilding.com/

TNG is a pretty amazing project.

Convoluted and difficult interdependent programming (for me), a fairly complete but difficult WIKI, and a forum that doesn't benefit from the expertise of folks like the Interactive Tools staff,  make the program a bit hard to tweak or to add optional functionality to, but it's amazingly complete and functionally well thought out. There's even some WordPress, and other CMS cross functionality that can be utilized.

My biggest issue is that TNG is a one person operation, so that if he can't or doesn't wan to continue his stewardship, users are on their own.

Since I'm using the CMSB website membership plugin on my genealogy site, I added a load viewer_functions call and <?php if (!$CURRENT_USER) { websiteLogin_redirectToLogin(); } ?> to the head of many of the TNG pages, so that a visitor needs to log in before they can gain access. That way I don't have to deal with the hide information about living family members issue, since all approved members are authorized to see all information on the site.

If that's not feasible, one can either use the built in membership functions or work out a single log in for both CMSB and TNG.

All in all, a great program at an affordable price.