Hiding fields if no content and layout issues

6 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: July 17, 2013   (RSS)

By degreesnorth - July 2, 2013

Hi Support

1.  I've checked your forum, but there's nothing that deals with hiding multiple fields in multiple columns if there is no data.  For example, for a real estate client, there may be one, two, three of four different areas with different sqm, yet other properties might only have one.  How do I hide potentially multiple fields in a listing.

2.  Is there any other way of forcing the content to a next line other than using <br>...the problem is that the <br> in the empty field is pushing the content down.

Code is attached.

<table class="footable">

<thead> 

<tr>

<th data-class="expand">Property</th>
<th>Location</th>
<th data-hide="phone,tablet">Area</th>
<th data-hide="phone,tablet">Size sqm</th>
<th data-hide="phone,tablet">Rent - $psm</th>
<th data-hide="phone">Details</th>

</tr></thead>

<?php foreach ($lease_warehouseRecords as $record): ?>

<tbody>
<tr>

<td valign="top" width="150"><?php echo $record['suburb'] ?> <br>
<?php echo htmlencode($record['address']) ?></td>

<td valign="top" width="60">
<?php echo $record['building_area_1'] ?><br>
<?php if ($record['building_area_2_sqm']): ?><?php echo $record['building_area_2'] ?><?php endif ?><br>
<?php if ($record['building_area_3_sqm']): ?><?php echo $record['building_area_3'] ?><?php endif ?><br>
<?php if ($record['building_area_4_sqm']): ?><?php echo $record['building_area_4'] ?><?php endif ?><br> </td>
<td valign="top">

<?php echo $record['building_area_1_sqm'] ?><br>
<?php echo $record['building_area_2_sqm'] ?><br>
<?php echo $record['building_area_3_sqm'] ?><br>
<?php echo $record['building_area_4_sqm'] ?><br></td>

<td valign="top" width="100">
<?php echo $record['building_area_1_rent_psm'] ?><br> 
<?php echo $record['building_area_2_rent_psm'] ?><br>
<?php echo $record['building_area_3_rent_psm'] ?></td>

<td valign="top"><?php echo $record['brief_intro'] ?><a href="<?php echo $record['_link'] ?>"> ||  more info</a></td></tr>

<?php endforeach ?>
<?php if (!$lease_warehouseRecords): ?>
  No records were found!<br/><br/>
  <?php endif ?>
</tbody>
</table>

The problem is it looks fine in PC mode, but when it goes to responsive mode, it's adding the line breaks/empty fields in the spacing of the responsive format in the mobile view which is what I want to get rid of.  Here's the weblink: http://www.fordland.com.au/list.php (resize it to mobile view and you can see what I'm talking about with regards to the extra space.

Thanks

By Toledoh - July 2, 2013

Maybe I'm not reading the question correctly, but if you include the break in if statement, the line return would only occur if there was a result.

ie.

<?php if ($record['building_area_2_sqm']): ?><?php echo $record['building_area_2'] ?><br /><?php endif ?>

Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

By gregThomas - July 3, 2013

Hi,

Could you check if the field is blank, and then not display it, like you've done with building_area fields? For example:

<?php if($record['building_area_1_sqm']) :?><?php echo $record['building_area_1_sqm'] ?><br><?php endif; ?>

If the field had been left blank, the above if statement would return false and the field would not be displayed.

For the second point, Tim's suggestion for having the <br> inside of the if statement should stop the content being pushed down the page.

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By degreesnorth - July 16, 2013

One more question:

How do I hide a list item if the field is empty on a detailed page?  For example, my code is:

<ol class="list-arrow">              
<li>Office:  <?php echo htmlencode($lease_warehouseRecord['office_production_sqm']) ?> sqm</li>              
<li>Warehouse:  <?php echo htmlencode($lease_warehouseRecord['warehouse_sqm']) ?> sqm</li>              
<li><strong>Total:  <?php echo htmlencode($lease_warehouseRecord['total_sqm_1']) ?> sqm</strong></li>              
<li>Yard:  <?php echo htmlencode($lease_warehouseRecord['yard_sqm']) ?> sqm</li>
</ul>

However, I'd rather not show the entire Yard list row if the Yard SQM is empty.  If I use the <?php if ($lease_warehouseRecord['yard_sqm']) ?><li><?php echo htmlencode($lease_warehouseRecord['yard_sqm']) ?></li><?php endif; ?>, nothing on the page displays.

Thanks

By gregThomas - July 17, 2013

Hi,

I think the problem is your missing a colon on the end of your if statement:

<?php if ($lease_warehouseRecord['yard_sqm']): ?><li><?php echo htmlencode($lease_warehouseRecord['yard_sqm']); ?></li><?php endif; ?>

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com