Customer review star rating

5 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 30, 2013   (RSS)

By Mikey - May 24, 2013

Is there a thread on a customer review star rating system for CMSBuilder. I  could have sworn I saw a thread on how to build one, but I can't find it. If there isn't anyone have any suggestions on building one?

By gregThomas - May 27, 2013

Hi Zick,

We have a star rating plugin system which we use internally. We could integrate it into a site for you easily, if you send an e-mail to consulting@interactivetools.com we can give you an estimate of the cost.

Thanks!

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By Mikey - May 27, 2013

Thanks for the heads-up Greg. I'll be in touch.

By gkornbluth - May 30, 2013

Hi Zick,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier

There's a star rating system in the CMSB Cookbook that was developed by the netgirl, who created it for a rental property client..

EDITORS
First, you’ll need to create 2 multi-record editors. They’re called “Vacation Rentals” and “Ratings”.

* You can create preformatted editors by upload the ,ini.php files in the download package below to your cmsAdmin/data/schemaPresets folder and then creating the editors from
the "select presets" pulldown menu

The Vacation Rentals editor contains the listing information records for the individual properties.

(Each record contains listing information for a single property. The “Property Code” field value in the “Vacation Rentals” editor is used in a pull down list to populate the “Property Code” field in the “Ratings” editor. )

The Ratings editor contains the customer submitted ratings for the individual properties.
(There can be multiple “Ratings” records for the same property. The “votes” are averaged and displayed in the appropriate viewers. The VacationRentalsDetail viewer shows only the overall rating for the property and the MoreRatings viewer shows detailed ratings for that property.

VIEWERS
There are 3 viewers that you’ll need to create: VacationRentalsList.php, VacationRentalsDetail.php, and MoreRatings.php.

The Vacation Rentals viewers are standard list and detail pages for the property listings. Code to display the "Overall Rating" and a link to the MoreRatings detailed ratings viewer are added to the VacationRentalsDetail page

The MoreRatings viewer is the one that shows the average of the ratings submitted for the particular property. Code to display the detailed ratings is added to this viewer.

IMAGES
You’ll also have to create the “star” images to be displayed as the ratings. I’ve created some simple circle gifs with the numbers 1-9 for this demonstration. (They are hard coded to be found in an images/stars folder in the directory that contains your viewer files, so if you change the location, don’t forget to change the viewer coding.)

Rather the listing all the code here, you can download the ini.php* files the sample viewer files, and a folder containing the 9 sample star gifs from:

http://thecmsbcookbook.com/downloads/ratings.zip

Before you can see the rating system in operation, you’ll need to create some “property listings” records in the Vacation Rentals editor and then some Ratings records for those properties in the Ratings editor.

Once you’ve created a working system, you can customize the components for your specific needs.

You can also use the membership plugin to allow previously registered guests to post their own ratings and comments.

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php