Problems with SpamBotEmailProtector v1.01 (latest)

10 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder: Plugins & Add-ons
Last Post: July 11, 2013   (RSS)

By northernpenguin - May 1, 2013 - edited: May 1, 2013

I am using SpamBotEmailProtector v1.01 (BTW, internally in plugins, it shows as v2.01) with CMSB v2.53 Build 1040.  If I click on a "mailto" URL, I get the following issues:

Outlook:  garbled email address includes some of the obfuscating characters

Webmail (yahoo):  Looks fine until you press send.  Then you get an error telling you that the email address is incorrect as it includes html coding.

You can try it out yourself:  http://nl.aircadetleagueofcanada.ca    - check the footer

--
northernpenguin
Northern Penguin Technologies

"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."
........Arthur C. Clarke

By gregThomas - May 2, 2013

Hi,

As I had FTP details for this site I was able to investigate the problem on the server directly.

To fix this problem I had to change the following settings in spambotEmailProtector.php.

$GLOBALS['SEP_ENCODING_METHODS']['comments']    = false;
$GLOBALS['SEP_ENCODING_METHODS']['tags']        = false;

Thanks!

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By northernpenguin - May 2, 2013 - edited: May 2, 2013

Thank Greg

I just tested yahoo.ca webmail, and it works great.  Now on to Outlook....

Ok, confirmed, Outlook works also!

Tx Greg!

--
northernpenguin
Northern Penguin Technologies

"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."
........Arthur C. Clarke

By Dave - May 2, 2013

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

I've upgraded the add-ons page to show the current version as 2.01.  It was a typo - v1.xx was a standalone, not CMSB plugin version. And I've set the following as defaults for the next version:

$GLOBALS['SEP_ENCODING_METHODS']['comments']    = false;
$GLOBALS['SEP_ENCODING_METHODS']['tags']        = false;

The HTML that the plugin generates is valid, but we're at the mercy of changing standards of the various browsers, email programs, and mailto handlers.  In the case of yahoo webmail, they must have an app or something that registers itself for mailto: links.  Do you know what is it?  If so let me know and I'll make a note to test it next time we update the plugin.

Thanks!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By Codee - May 15, 2013

Hi Dave and Greg,

You may want to change the filename of the download for SpamBotEmailProtector to "2.01".  It's stated as such in the forum, and on the description for the add-on page, BUT when someone downloads the file the filename reads "1.01".  Without opening it a purchaser might think it's the wrong version. Thanks!

By Dave - May 15, 2013

Hi equinox,

Good call, I've renamed the file.  

Thanks! :)

interactivetools.com

By Codee - July 11, 2013

So, how did you know which ones to change to "false"?

By Dave - July 11, 2013

Hi equinox,

>So, how did you know which ones to change to "false"?

It was an educated guess.  The various methods all do different things to encode the email address.  Say this is an email: example@example.com

I believe 'comments' adds random comment tags: exa<!-- wedhg ->mpl<!-- wedwed -->e@exa<!-- wedwdw -->mple.com

And tags does something like this: exam<i></i>ple@exam<b></b>ple.com

So I just disabled the ones that I guessed were causing trouble for Yahoo Mail.

The email clients, browsers and web mail services are always changing how they interpret html content so it's a bit of a cat and mouse game sometimes.

Cheers,

interactivetools.com

By Codee - July 11, 2013

Okay, that makes some sense to me.  I actually ran into the same problem on a site and just couldn't figure it out...and I was using the same html code as on other sites. But turning those 2 elements to 'false' fixed it...but on my end it had nothing to do with yahoo mail.