Not Viewing Correctly

18 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 23, 2013   (RSS)

By knight_oWL19 - May 7, 2013

Hi there,

I've installed the php code and renamed with a .php extension.  I've used CMS Builder a few times and have not had this problem:  the php pages are not viewing correctly.  Have a look here and compare.

enlightenthesoul.com/contact.php

enlightenthesoul.com/contact.html

This is the same for all of the pages. 

I have not u/l the index page as I have a temp there right now.  If you click on About or Testimonials you'll see a stylized window open up.  This is also viewing incorrectly in the php version. 

I've went through the code and can't see why there are all of these gaps? 

any suggestions? 

By Steve99 - May 8, 2013

Hi,

At a quick glance, it looks like extra tags made it in to your code when it was copied/pasted. Since you already have the HTML markup, I would go right to the source code part of the WYSIWYG and paste it there. By default the WYSIWYG will generally wrap things in paragraph tags unless you change the settings.

A useful program to compare files is called WinMerge (http://winmerge.org/). I've used it for many years.

Hope this helps.

- Steve

By knight_oWL19 - May 11, 2013

Hi Steve,

I d/l winmerge and had a closer look; pointed out additional <p> tags inserted from the WYSIWYG as you said.  I went into the html editor in CMS and inserted the text directly (removed additional tags) and it still wants to place additional tags when the record is saved.  I have these areas blocked in span tags so the CSS can handle how it looks.  but the additional tags are making it view with gaps and not allowing it to correctly call the stylesheet. 

Not sure where to go from here.  Like I said I've used this before and have not had this problem.  I just cut and paste the php snippets to call info from the database and let the CSS handle the rest. 

Also, if you click on the About Tab or Testimonials in the html version, you'll see that it comes up in a fancy box of sorts.  Now compare the php version.  None of the style is called. 

Help!

By gkornbluth - May 12, 2013 - edited: May 12, 2013

Hi Night_oWL.

Just my two cents.

Unless you absolutely need to use a WYSIWYG field, I'd suggest using text boxes. Much less aggravation and much more consistent results.

You still have to look out for extra returns, errrant spaces, and blank lines at the end of a field, and if it's really important there are a few ways to style text internally in the text box.

I stopped using WYSIWYG for my clients sites years ago and have never looked back.

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By knight_oWL19 - May 13, 2013

Hi Jerry,

Yes, I usually use the WSYWIG more sparingly, but in this case, I wanted to give my wife more options for modifying the text.  Like I said I've used these in the past and have not had these problems with spacing and basically a wacko looking page.  also, still not sure what's happening with my fancybox pop-ups on about and testimonials?  I've used all of these same elements before with CMS Builder and have not had these problems. 

Thankyou,

eldon

By rconring - May 14, 2013

I get around this by overriding the default HTML paragraph margin styles in the CSS for the element.

Ron Conring
Conring Automation Services
----------------------------------------
Software for Business and Industry Since 1987

By rconring - May 15, 2013

Ditto, Equinox!  WYSIWYG fields have been my nemesis since I began buildig CMS.  I too have moved away from them.  It is a lot more work up front using purely text fields, but well woth the effort.  I have only one client out of all who has the publishing skills to properly format data without breaking the design.  I envy you having found teachable clients! LOL

Ron Conring
Conring Automation Services
----------------------------------------
Software for Business and Industry Since 1987

By Steve99 - May 15, 2013

Hi again,

I too have felt your pain, but it comes with the territory of giving clients more formatting control over their site (which practically all would prefer - hence the existence of the WYSIWYG).

You can get into the "guts" and change the way TinyMCE operates, but it would affect all WYSIWYG instances where you may want lines to be wrapped in P tags. Would that be an option for you? Note: from an SEO standpoint, it's better to having flowing page copy in paragraph tags versus using breaks in between true paragraphs.

- Steve

By gkornbluth - May 15, 2013

Just a thought.

I guess that you're getting the feeling by now that not too many of us like how WYSIWYG breaks our pages.

I don't know how much control your client actually needs, but in some cases I have been able to tell my client about certain tags that can be inserted into the text in a text field to change the looks.

I try to limit this to bold (<b> <b/>), italic (<i></i>), text color (<font color="red"></font>), hyperlink (<a target="_blank"  href="your_link_url.com">your link text</a>),  and other such benign tags, and leave out the really dangerous ones.

Then I put these tags into a field called "instructions" as the default value so it shows up in every record (you could also put them into an html separator)

It's a bit more work but find it to be a lot safer.

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php