Site Setup Questions (2 parts with joint categories)

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 7, 2013   (RSS)

By csdesign - March 6, 2013

Hello! 

I'm starting a new site and I want to make sure I have the foundation right before I go any further.  There are 2 parts to the site. 

1) Horse Listing (name, breed, info, photos, etc.) 
Multiple Section Editor for client to add in horses

2) Breeders Review (name, breed, results, etc.) 
Each horse will have it's own Multiple Section Editor with multiple reviews by various breeders

I need for the Name & Breed to be accessible for both.  For instance, If a horse is not setup on the "horse listing" it will not show up as a reviewable horse on the Breeders Review. Breeders will not be entering the horses name. They will be selecting it from a drop down list broken down by Breed if possible. 

Questions: 

• I setup the horse list first and created the Breed list as a pulldown list field. I'm thinking that the breed names should be their own table in the database (?) How would I do that? 

• How do I then get the names (from Horse Listings) and Breeds to show up on the Breeder's Review page when they sign up to review a horse? Could I actually have 2 drop down lists. The first one for breed - and then the second list would only show names of horses of that breed?

I'm sure those aren't my only two issues... but that's where I'm starting.  Thanks so much!! Tina

By gregThomas - March 7, 2013

Hi Tina,

I this knowledge base article that explains how to store the horse breeds in a separate section and list them in another section:

http://www.interactivetools.com/kb/article.php?Populate-a-list-field-from-another-section-15

It is possible to have two drop downs, with the second refining it's results based on the content of the first, this post gives an example of how to do it:

http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/forum-posts.php?postNum=2218572#post2218572

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com