• Archived  

By biruel - December 16, 2009

Reference to the AM2 does not have more in the website. Only in the forum.
It is the end? [:/]

Re: [biruel] The end of the Article Manager?

• Archived  

By ColinW-O - December 16, 2009

Yeah I noticed that too. It's a shame. AM2 is very powerful and does things that CMS Builder doesn't.

Not cool.

Re: [biruel] The end of the Article Manager?

• Archived  

By Dave - December 16, 2009

Hi Guys,

Yes, this is the end of development and marketing for Article Manager. It's been 2 years since we've released CMS Builder and we're putting all our development on that product moving forward.

You can still purchase licenses for Article Manager and all our older products here, though:
http://www.interactivetools.com/order/

If you're comfortable with AM2, by all means, you can continue using it. But if you'd like to try something new we really do recommend CMS Builder. It is different, but it allows you to do a lot more.

We've released almost 40 updates to CMS Builder since v1.00 and are continuing to improve it more every month. If there's something missing that you need to switch over please feel free to contact me at dave@interactivetools.com.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] The end of the Article Manager?

• Archived  

By tribulatio - December 17, 2009

Thank you for the information! I had no longer visited the forum for a long time. I have been a user of AM 1 for several years, and I am producing three websites with AM 1. I had decided to upgrade to AM 2 this year, but I am glad I didn't do it: since I realize now I should actually upgrade directly to CMS Builder.

Two very practical questions:

1) Is it possible to upgrade directly from AM 1 to CMS Builder, or is an upgrade first to AM 2 needed?

2) My websites are committed to permanent URLs. Is it possible to keep them during the upgrade process and to get URL such as http://mysite.com/articles/article_454.shtml with CMS Builder? (If it is not possible, rather than to move the material from AM 1, I should probably keep it running on my websites for old articles, and install CMS for new ones - my only fear being that some day, in five or ten years, AM 1 will no longer be working properly for some technical reasons - however, probably I could still keep the older webpages as they are, as long as I do not modify them).

Those are important news, and I am really glad you share them now, so that I can take the right next step.

Re: [tribulatio] The end of the Article Manager?

• Archived  

By Dave - December 17, 2009

Hi tribulatio,

It isn't possible to upgrade directly, no. So you could setup CMSB for new articles or switch over the next time you redesign your site.

And the urls for CMSB look a little different than AM1 but if your server supports .htaccess files you could either setup redirects from the old pages to the new or even keep using the old url format. Note this is a bit of extra work to setup but it's certainly doable.

Hope that helps!
interactivetools.com

• Archived  

Very helpful indeed, thank you! Provided my already existing webpages remain accessible forever (!), even if AM1 stops working in a few years due to technical changes, then the option of having only new articles produced with CMS builder is certainly the best one. Importing existing articles one by one to CMSB is not an option, there are hundreds of them.

I will anyway buy a CMSB licence, and then see how I implement that. I am producing a news site in two languages (English/French), and I assume that CMSB can easily handle 10,000 or 20,000 articles if I reach that number in a few years, right?

• Archived  

By Dave - December 17, 2009

Hi tribulatio,

Yes, CMS Builder can handle tens of thousands of records easily. Basically anything MySQL can handle, CMS Builder can handle.

Hope that helps!
interactivetools.com

• Archived  

Thank you for the prompt reply, Dave! Years are passing, but Interactive Tools support remains the same: courteous, helpful - this is what makes the difference, in addition to quality products.

Wonderful to read that: then CMS is certainly for me the way to go, although I might still have to clarify a few questions - but I will post those in the CMS Builder section of the forum in due time, just posted one already regarding legends below pictures.

• Archived  

By bonnie72 - December 21, 2009

Very sad to see AM go. Will you continue support for AM2, and if so, for how long? Will CMSB have the same powerful features of AM2 in the future so customers can upgrade from AM2 to CMSB?

Thanks,
Marco