• Archived  

By BillG - April 28, 2009

I'm really not happy at all with the Innova HTML editor in AM2.

I like to keep my code optimized and tight. Compared to HTML Area, as I've written before, the editor in AM2 creates code bloat.

Can anyone tell me how to replace the Innova HTML editor in AM2 with another HTML editor, such as the superior HTML Area???

Thanks!!!

Re: [BillG] Replace Innova Editor

• Archived  

By Donna - April 29, 2009

Hi Bill,

Well, I *strongly* recommend against using htmlArea. It's years out of date, and has been discontinued. (It also doesn't work in most browsers.)

That said, there are plenty of other WYSIWYG editors out there! :)

It's definitely possible to switch. However, that's a little beyond what our support can offer. There would be a lot of interface template changes, but if you wanted to delve in, it can definitely be done.
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com

Re: [Donna] Replace Innova Editor

• Archived  

By BillG - April 29, 2009 - edited: April 29, 2009

Donna, I've tested the last [font "Verdana"]htmlArea in IE6 & IE7, Firefox 3, and Google Chrome. It completely works all browsers I've tested it in.

[font "Verdana"]And you're wrong, the HTML it generates isn't out of date.

Look, I'm not trying to be difficult here, but if you have data that shows me wrong, I'd really like to see it.

Re: [BillG] Replace Innova Editor

• Archived  

By Donna - April 29, 2009

Hi there,

Well, we made htmlArea 2 originally, so... that's where I'm getting that from. :)

htmlArea 3 never came out of alpha, I don't really have any details on where that project went afterward. htmlArea 2 was great by 2002-2003 standards, but as browsers got better, it was quickly deprecated.

There are also several "spinoff" htmlArea projects that may be vastly improved, I'm not sure, and this may be what you're thinking of -- I was referring to htmlArea 2, as that's the last version that we created, then discontinued in favor of newer products created by teams that dedicated their entire business to maintaining them, as opposed to the side project htmlArea ended up being for us. The htmlArea we created only worked in IE.

That said, it doesn't really matter -- you're welcome to use whatever WYSIWYG editor you want! It's not something we support, but the interface templates are available for exactly this reason -- so you can extend the software however you need, beyond what we ever intended. :)
Donna

--

• Archived  

By mbittner - June 3, 2009

Sorry to hijack this thread, but what version of Innova is AM using? If it's an old one, how do we go about upgrading to a newer version? I see on Innova's site they're at version 3.6.

I ask this because when you edit in (for example) Firefox, it gives you completely different code than when you edit in IE.
Matt Bittner
Software Engineer
Internet Modeler

Re: [mbittner] Replace Innova Editor

• Archived  

By Donna - June 4, 2009

Hi Matt,

It's based on version 2.9.8, so it's a little behind -- our resources have been dedicated to CMS Builder and the new Instant Website products.

You're welcome to try upgrading it yourself, but that's a little beyond what we can support as it involves updating the interface templates. Especially since it's going from version 2 to version 3, it's not likely to be a simple "replace this folder and go" sort of upgrade.
Donna

--

• Archived  

By mbittner - June 4, 2009

Okay, I don't understand something. You know something within your software needs to be updated, but aren't willing to do it?

Sorry, but something doesn't seem right.

If you give me detailed instructions, as well as a way to back out "just in case", I'll give it a shot.
Matt Bittner
Software Engineer
Internet Modeler

• Archived  

By ross - June 8, 2009

Hi there.

We don't really have instructions for switching the version over Innova. If you like though, you can try just downloading the files from them and uploading it all to your /artman/wysiwyg folder.

That's exactly where I would start. maybe make a backup of that folder first in case my idea doesn't work.

Give that a shot and let me know how you make out :).

Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

• Archived  

By mbittner - June 22, 2009

There's another issue at work here. When you run the editor from Firefox, it gives you different code than if you run it from IE. I would hope that IT would want the same look-and-feel to the sites that are generated regardless of browsers. That should be another reason to update the Innova editor.
Matt Bittner
Software Engineer
Internet Modeler