Login | Sign up | Toll-Free: 1-800-752-0455

Forum

Re: [terryally] Options for PHP include of search queries

Hi Terry

Thanks for posting!

With the "the next five articles in five other slots" what do you mean?

I am wondering if we could set up a new category and build a publish rule to display the articles for that. I don't know for sure though. Let me know what you mean there and we'll see what options there :).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [ross] Options for PHP include of search queries

Hello Ross,

Thanks for replying.

The question I asked applies only to the home page. I have four or five categories built and they all run fine as their own category index.

On the home page I have five slots for featured news items. I want to be able to select five articles - ANY five articles of my choice - from one or more of the five categories and display them in those slots on the home page.

My questions are:
1. How do I get these included on the home page
2. If I am building a query string my new server features will not allow me a php include that has a query in it. I can use CURL but am wondering whether these is a non-CURL option.

Thanks
Terry

Re: [terryally] Options for PHP include of search queries

Hi Terry.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have ideas for both things you are trying to setup but it's going to start getting a little more involved so would you mind if we covered them one at a time?

For the 5 articles on your front page, create a new category called "Front Page Articles" making sure it's set as hidden. You can then add any article you like to this category because you have the option of adding each article to multiple categories. You'll want to set this new category as the second one for any articles in it. IE: set News as the first category for your article and then set Front Page News as the second category.

From there, you create a publish rule (set it to sort by updated date) and include that file on your home page.

Does that make sense? If you set it to be ordered by last updated time, the 5 articles will always be the latest 5 you added to that new category and you won't have to worry about unselecting the older articles.

Let me know what you think :).

My ideas for the search query involve either an iFrame or a script we call publish cron.

I look forward to hearing from you.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Ok Ross.

I've set up the category and added the articles but I have to get my head around these publishing rules.

Will be back with you as soon as I understand them ...

Terry

By terryally - May 1, 2009 - edited: May 1, 2009

From there, you create a publish rule (set it to sort by updated date) and include that file on your home page.

Hi Ross,

I am stumped on the publish rule.

I set the Rule Name and Rule Description.

For Rule Type I selected "list of articles" with the template templates/articleLists/categoryIndex.html, and a Placeholder Set Name of FrontPageArticles - is that correct??

I am unsure about what to do with Rule Options.

In Advanced Options, I select only the Front Page Articles category. And for Sort Order, I will do something different. I will include a field called "postion" with a drop down list of 1 through 5. I will set the Sort Order to "postion" followed by date which gives me more flexibility to decide what goes where.

Can you assist me please with the Rule Option. How do I complete that?

Terry

P.S. Have you guys every thought of setting up a (paid for) webinar to teach clients how to use this software?