• Archived  

By jnc - July 13, 2007

Can someone help with my need to summarize under a field name? I have several situations where I need to include a list of articles under a particular fieldname. For example, I need to include a list of books under a list of book authors. The list of book authors is several hundred long so I'll paginate after 20 or so.

Author A (field name is "book_author")
Book title 1 (field name is "title")
Book title 2
Book title 3
Author B
Book title 4
Book title 5
Book title 6

I've figured out how to list the author name next to every book, but then I'm repeating the author name multiple times (next to book 1,2,3.) Both the "book_author" field and the "title" field are located in my article database under every article so for example, 10 articles may use the same book author name.

Now, maybe I should have created a separate book author database and just selected the author's name in my article database from a drop down. Currently if the same author wrote another book, I'm re-entering the book author bio and picture into the new article -- a time consuming effort. The only way I know how to include the author information (bio, picture, name) is to include from the article database (i.e. $article.author_image$, $article.book_author$, $article.authorBio$). Any hints or suggestions on this would be VERY much appreciated.

Jerry

Re: [jerrycharles] help needed to summarize under a fieldname

• Archived  

By deniseb - July 15, 2007

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the post!

There's usually many ways that you can set things like this up with Article Manager. In this situation you could create a new publish rule that will output a list of books published by each author. Then you could set-up your index page template to pull in that file directly after the Author' name. For example, your index page code may look similar to this:

<p><a href="">$article.bookAuthor$<a/><br />

<ul>

<!--#include virtual="Author's Books Publish Rule Placeholder Here" -->

</ul>

Setting this up would require a little work but can be done, if this is a possibility that interests you let me know and I will be happy to provide you with more detailed instructions. :)

Re: [ChetW] help needed to summarize under a fieldname

• Archived  

By jnc - July 17, 2007

Chet,

Thanks for the reply. But, in your example if $article.bookAuthor$ wrote 14 books, won't his/her name be repeated 17 times? As a point of clarification, I've created my own "bookAuthor" field in the article database and am not using the standard "Author" field at this time. And, every book is in a separate article record.

I would definitely appreciate more detailed instructions. I would essentially like to create an index page under a "by Author" parent category. The category index page will list the author's name followed by the books he/she wrote on separate rows.

Re: [Jake] help needed to summarize under a fieldname

• Archived  

By jnc - July 18, 2007 - edited: July 18, 2007

Hi Jake,

Thanks for your reply. My bookAuthor field is currently a field in my article database, not a category. I can set things up differently if needed. I haven't imported all my articles yet.

[added] I should have also mentioned that I have an authorBio field that accompanies the bookAuthor field. I'll use this both the article page as a tabbed page.

Jerry

• Archived  

By deniseb - July 19, 2007

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the follow-up!

I have been taking another look at this for you and it looks like there may not be a good solution for this inside of Article Manager's default set-up. That being said I can see this being possible through the use of either Javascript or PHP/MySQL. Javascript and PHP are a little outside the scope of what we can support here. My thoughts had been based around storing all the author names in an array (basically a list of article authors), then running a request against that array which removes all the duplicate author names. :)

Perhaps a member of our community who is well versed in either PHP, MySQl or Javascript may be able to help point you in the right direction.

Re: [ChetW] help needed to summarize under a fieldname

• Archived  

By jnc - July 20, 2007

Chet,

Thanks for looking into this. As an alternative, what if I set all my authors up as categories as you eluded to before? I already have a "$category.content$ field in the category database that could include the author bio. If I could call the $category.name$ (author name) and $category.content$ (author bio) into my article in the appropriate places this could work, couldn't it? For example, I would first use a TemplateIf to check if $article.category3num$ = "the author category" and if so, display $Category.name$ and $Category.content$. Do you think this would work? Would that pull in the correct category content or is content pulled automatically always select fields from the $article.categorynum$ category?

Jerry

• Archived  

By deniseb - July 21, 2007

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the follow-up!

Setting up your author's as categories will most likely be your best option here Jerry, I would suggest giving it a try and if you need a hand at any point we'll be happy to help out. :)