• Archived  

By deniseb - March 17, 2007

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the follow-up!

I'll need to take a closer look at what's possible here, once I have some updated news I'll create a new post with some updated details. :)

In the meantime if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
  • Archived  

By ross - March 19, 2007

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the email!

I have an idea for you here. It's a little technical so I think I'll just go over it briefly first to see if you are interested [:)].

What I am thinking is that you could setup a custom category menu template that includes a list of all your articles from each category right under the category title. Now, of course, you can't actually use includes in a site map so what you would be doing is setting up a custom search results template as well to run that category menu. From there, you would setup the publishcron.cgi addon we have that will let you save your custom results as a static file which will be your sitemap.

Does that make sense? You are basically, using includes to get your page displaying as if it was sitemap page using includes and then saving that page as an actual file so it will work as your sitemap.

Let me know what you think and we can go over it in more detail [:)].
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [ross] Google Sitemap and AM2

• Archived  

By ibis70 - June 9, 2007

I would actually like to see what you have come up with there!

Any chance you can post this sitemap solution in more detail??

Re: [ibis70] Google Sitemap and AM2

• Archived  

By deniseb - June 10, 2007

Hi ibis70,

Thanks for the post!

I'm not actually familiar with how this had all turned out. What I'm going to do is forward this over to Ross who is back in the office tommorow, once he's had a chance to read this over he'll follow-up with you. :)

In the meantime if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Re: [ibis70] Google Sitemap and AM2

• Archived  

By ross - June 11, 2007

Hi there.

I hadn't actually set that one up just yet because it would take more time than I had [:)]. Also, it would be best if I had a real world example to try it out on.

I know it's going to work though so if you wanted, we could setup a consulting project to get that going for you.

Just shoot me an email through consulting@interactivetools.com and we'll go from there. Let me know if you have anymore questions [:)].
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [ChetW] Google Sitemap and AM2

• Archived  

By KenGary - July 13, 2007

Why isn't there a final answer on this?
Ken Gary

~It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it!

Re: [ChetW] Google Sitemap and AM2

• Archived  

By KenGary - July 16, 2007

Well no, respecfully, it really doesn't. You show how to set it up for just Articles. When you were asked how to combine both articles and category indexes you asked him to finish resolving this in private in a support ticket. Those cost money, right?

The best I could do in this situation was make one rule for articles, then another for categories which makes a second Google site map file. Then manually create a site map index to link the two together like the documentation says you can do. I guess this gets me by. But if there were a way to do it all in one that would be better.

So no, it didn't help me that you didn't ever post a solution to this and that you asked him and now me for money.

If I knew there was a solution I might be willing to submit the ticket. But I don't see why more and more you're having a tendency to do this rather than post. I mean if he did submit a ticket and you've resolved this, why not post the solution for all your customers?
Ken Gary

Re: [KenGary] Google Sitemap and AM2

• Archived  

By Donna - July 17, 2007

Hi Ken,

Regular support tickets are definitely free! The only time they cost money is if you want to escalate it to a rapid response (within one hour during office hours) ticket.

But otherwise, our support is (and has always been!) available for free.

The main reason we don't always post the full answer on the forums is because it's often so specific to an individual site that having the response on the forums wouldn't apply to anyone else... and would end up causing confusion when other people try to apply a solution that doesn't fit their situation. In the end, it ends up creating a lot more work -- for our users as well as us! -- than it solves. Therefore, the help we offer via the forums tends to be a little more generic than the help we can offer via support.

But by all means, feel free to submit a (free!) support ticket at any time here:

https://www.interactivetools.com/support/email_support.cgi
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com

Re: [Donna] Google Sitemap and AM2

• Archived  

By KenGary - July 18, 2007

Ok, I understand. Thank you for the clarification. I appreciate it.

But do you think the answer to THIS issue is specific? If not, why can't it be posted here?
Ken Gary