• Archived  

By Fredx - May 11, 2007

Hi, folks:

I am evaluating AM2, which looks very good except that it introduces a multitude of extraneous blank lines when inputting into the WYSIWYG editor from MS Word doc. There lines are not acceptable to my client and therefore must be removed. (Yes, I have tried various alternatives).

I could write a postprocesser to clean up the text after it is captured from the WYSIWYG editor. It would consist of a few key regular expressions. Or, I could write a stand-alone program to access articles in the database and clean them up there.

I asked support several questions:
1. Is the source that comes with AM uncompressed?
2. Is it indented according to syntax?
3. Does it include all comments that are present in the development version?
4. How clean and well-written is it?
5. Is the MySql database schema available?

Their response to items 1-4 was: they avoided responding. This indicates that the Canadian-based support staff may not even have access to the source, or if they do, they do not want to reveal that it is in poor condition. In either case, they have not taken the time to communicate with development in order to obtain the answers to these questions - and I can hardly imagine that I am the first to ask.

Their response to item 5 was that the schema is not available.

So, although I am willing to dive in and write a postprocessor (given acceptable source), I am clearly on my own. I really don't want to waste my time and my client's money trying to deal with inferior source code.

Has anyone else been into the source code? If so, could you please post your experience in doing so?

Thanks,

Fredx

Re: [Fredx] Source quality for AM2 - has anyone modified source?

• Archived  

By Dave - May 11, 2007

Our software is designed to give people control without having to be a programmers. We don't often get a lot of questions from programmers. That's likely why you didn't get the responses you were looking for.

We're all based in Vancouver, Canada. Support Staff, developers and all. The wysiwyg editor is a component is written in Javascript and is from another company called Innovastudio. It's one of the few parts of the software we didn't write ourselves.

Article Manager 2 comes will full uncompressed source code that is indented, commented and uses meaningful module, function and variable names.

Form input is stored in 3 global hashes: $FORM, $FORM_ARRAYS, and $FORM_UPLOADS.

The simplest way to filter user input would be to add a few lines of code that iterated over these at the end of the readForm() function in the following module file: /modules/IT/ReadForm.pm

I think you'll find it pretty simple to get it to do what you want. If you don't, we have a 90 day money back guarantee (which is actually just an email form, you don't even have to sign or fax anything). We're proud of our software and stand behind it.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

• Archived  

By Dave - May 11, 2007

Yea, we've tried a number of wysiwygs over the years. It seems importing msword content nicely is an issue for lots of them. We're always keeping a watch for better components and updating our version of the wysiwyg as the vendors make new releases.

As for Australia, no that's not us. We're in Canada. :)
interactivetools.com

• Archived  

By Theo - May 11, 2007

Fredx,

If you're not already, make sure that you're using the "paste from Word" button on the WYSIWYG. Word has a lot of quirky code of its own, so it's important to use that button (it looks like a clipboard with a Word icon on it).

Article Manager will be updated soon with the latest version of the WYSIWYG which includes some improvements to the the paste-from-Word feature.

Hope that helps, Fred! [;)]
Theo Wiersma
Project Manager

Re: [Theo] Source quality for AM2 - has anyone modified source?

• Archived  

By Fredx - May 11, 2007

Hi, Theo:

Actually, I tried both standard paste and "paste from word". Standard paste actually worked much better. I have a test word doc and a summary of test results that I can post if anyone is interested.

Fred

• Archived  

By Dave - May 12, 2007

Yea, if you want to send us the Word document you're cutting and pasting from we can take a look and see if we can figure out what's going on.
interactivetools.com