• Archived  

By bobw - October 30, 2006

Since your building new versions, a few suggestions for enhancements I would offer:

1) Give the administrator the ability to lock the font and font size on articles submited by others, otherwise you end up with a variety of folks submitting by cut/paste and the pages with varying type font and size look sloppy.

2) Give the administrator the ability to do more "position ranking" of articles - instead of just "show first" for articles, it would be nice to be able to specify both the top "x" (say 5-10) articles in each top level category, and the top "x" overall.

3) Allow "audio" and "video" files to be uploaded and viewed or downloaded in addition to articles.

4) Allow articles to be marked as "premium" and thus available only to users with a user name and password (with perhaps only the summary being made available.

Re: [bobw] suggestions

• Archived  

By Dave - October 31, 2006

Bob, Thanks for the suggestions.

A few ideas for you:

1) You can always set your text fields to be plain-text instead of WYSIWYG in the field editor. This won't allow people to enter font size, etc.

There's also a placeholder modifier called :textOnly (like this: $placeholder:textOnly$) that strips out html.

2) There's lots of ways to do this. One would be to create two checkboxes "Global Feature" and "Category Feature". Then in Publish Rules have your global index sort by "Global Feature" and your Category Indexes sort by "Category Feature".

3) The default 2.00 install has a field called "File Attachments" and you can add a new upload field otherwise.

4) We don't make a password system, but you could certainly have some categories for "Premium Content" and have articles in those categories published to a secure folder, and others published somewhere else.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you need any help getting any of those working. My suggestion would be to take them on one at a time. :)
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

another sugestion/issue

• Archived  

By bobw - October 31, 2006

Is it possible to limit the ability of "trusted writers" to elect to check the "show first" box for articles they publish - most seem to like that, but that's an ability I'd rather preserve for editors?

Re: [bobw] another sugestion/issue

• Archived  

By Dave - November 1, 2006

No, the ability to limit different fields to different access levels isn't supported by default.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [bobw] another sugestion/issue

• Archived  

By Theo - November 1, 2006

Although there's no default means of limiting field access, Bob, it's pretty simply for you to add a bit of "custom field HTML" to the Featured field to make it so your writers aren't "bumping" their own articles. :)

What I did was a went into the templates/admin/menus/_defaultEditFields.html file and found the templateCell : checkbox section (not templateCell : list_checkboxes). I copied that code into a text editor and made some changes, adding some templateIf's to generate the code based on access level.

1) Login to Artman and go to Admin > Database Editor and "edit table & fields" for Articles
2) Go down the the Advanced Commands pulldown at the end (the pulldown defaulted to "Update Field Order") and select "Enable System Field Editing" and click "Go".
3) Click "modify" for your Featured field.
4) Change the "Checked Value" to 1 and the "Unchecked Value" to 0.
5) Click the "Custom Field HTML" button and paste in the following code. Since Editors are Access Level 4, only Editors and Admins will see the checkbox. All others (<4) will have the values passed through as a hidden field - that way, if they open an existing article, they won't lose the existing value for Featured.

<!-- templateIf : $currentUser.accessLevel$ >= "4" -->
<tr>
<td class="fieldLabel">$_fieldLabel$</td>
<td>
<input type="hidden" name="$_fieldName:htmlEncoded$" value="0" />
<input type="checkbox" class="inputCheckbox" name="$_fieldName:htmlEncoded$" value="1" id="$_fieldName:htmlEncoded$" $_checked$/>
<label for="$_fieldName:htmlEncoded$">$_description$</label>
</td>
</tr>
<!-- /templateIf -->
<!-- templateIf : $currentUser.accessLevel$ < "4" -->
<input type="hidden" name="$_fieldName:htmlEncoded$" value="$_fieldValue:replace('','0'):htmlEncoded$" />
<!-- /templateIf -->

6) Save the field changes. That's about it! :)

You can do similar things with other field types, but limiting "Featured" seems like something many webmasters would like to do for the same reasons you do!

Thanks for posting, Bob, Let us know if you need any further assistance.
Theo Wiersma
Project Manager

Re: [Theo] another sugestion/issue

• Archived  

By zakcoop1 - January 4, 2007

How would I use this method to hide certain fields based on the target category selected for the particular article being entered? That is to say, is it possible to hid certain fields if I don't need the editor to enter certain information for certain categories?

For instance, my "Projects" article might have fields such as:

- Gallery upload field to upload project images
- Square footage field
- Client field
etc...

My "Press Releases" article wouldn't use any of the fields above, so I wouldn't want my client to see them when they attempt to enter a new "Press Releases" article (to reduce the page clutter and ease their entry process).

Thanks so much in advance,

Aaron

Although there's no default means of limiting field access, Bob, it's pretty simply for you to add a bit of "custom field HTML" to the Featured field to make it so your writers aren't "bumping" their own articles. :)

What I did was a went into the templates/admin/menus/_defaultEditFields.html file and found the templateCell : checkbox section (not templateCell : list_checkboxes). I copied that code into a text editor and made some changes, adding some templateIf's to generate the code based on access level.

1) Login to Artman and go to Admin > Database Editor and "edit table & fields" for Articles
2) Go down the the Advanced Commands pulldown at the end (the pulldown defaulted to "Update Field Order") and select "Enable System Field Editing" and click "Go".
3) Click "modify" for your Featured field.
4) Change the "Checked Value" to 1 and the "Unchecked Value" to 0.
5) Click the "Custom Field HTML" button and paste in the following code. Since Editors are Access Level 4, only Editors and Admins will see the checkbox. All others (<4) will have the values passed through as a hidden field - that way, if they open an existing article, they won't lose the existing value for Featured.

<tr>
<td class="fieldLabel">$_fieldLabel$</td>
<td>
<input type="hidden" name="$_fieldName:htmlEncoded$" value="0" />
<input type="checkbox" class="inputCheckbox" name="$_fieldName:htmlEncoded$" value="1" id="$_fieldName:htmlEncoded$" $_checked$/>
<label for="$_fieldName:htmlEncoded$">$_description$</label>
</td>
</tr>
<!-- /templateIf -->
<!-- templateIf : $currentUser.accessLevel$ < "4" -->
<input type="hidden" name="$_fieldName:htmlEncoded$" value="$_fieldValue:replace('','0'):htmlEncoded$" />
<!-- /templateIf -->

6) Save the field changes. That's about it! :)

You can do similar things with other field types, but limiting "Featured" seems like something many webmasters would like to do for the same reasons you do!

Thanks for posting, Bob, Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Re: [zakcoop1] another sugestion/issue

• Archived  

By foshae - February 26, 2007

Did anyone from Interactive Tools post a solution for using this method to hide certain fields based on the target category selected for the particular article being entered? It seems like this wouldn't work because you can click "Create Article" and change the "category" whenever you want (before, during or after you create an article). Wouldn't there be issues with saving/deleting old data that are in fields for one category but not the other category? If you do have a tutorial written for this, please post it. I would use this solution for pages that are not treated as articles (i.e. About, Contact).

Re: [foshae] another sugestion/issue

• Archived  

By ross - February 26, 2007

Hi there

Thanks for posting!

This is definitely something we have thought of already and is on our feature request list. I am not quite sure of all the hows, whens and ifs just yet but we'll keep you up to date.

Let me know if you have anymore suggestions [:)].
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [ross] another sugestion/issue

• Archived  

By floodrod - March 12, 2009

Thanks for the tutorial. The featured suggestion worked good.

Now I want to hide the "Filename" field for anyone without level 4 access.

I tried editing the html box to

<tr> <td style="padding-right:5px">$_fieldLabel$</td> <td><input type="text" name="$_fieldName:htmlEncoded$" id="$_fieldName:htmlEncoded$" value="$_fieldValue:htmlEncoded$" size="40" onChange="this.value = replaceInvalidFilenameCharsWithUnderscores(this.value)" />.$settings.publishfileextension$</td> </tr>
<!-- /templateIf -->

But the manager tells me I need a filename.

I also tried playing around with the check boxes, but to no avail.

How do I hide the filename box on standard submissions? I want to make the submission process as easy as possible