SEO capabilities

7 posts by 7 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 25, 2012   (RSS)

By pothompson - October 12, 2012

I'm coming across an increasing number of projects where a competitor is quoting for the work but using Wordpress as a platform.

One of their arguments is invariably that it's great for SEO.

Is this something you've looked at in terms of why Wordpress might be good at SEO and the possibility of being able to build similar functionality into CMS Builder?

It would be useful to be counter any pro argument for Wordpress with an equally good one for CMS Builder.

Thanks, Paul.

Re: [pothompson] SEO capabilities

By gregThomas - October 12, 2012

Hi Paul,

One of the reasons Wordpress is good at SEO is because of how restrictive it is. It only allows you to create a very limited page structures and types. As CMS Builder gives you much more freedom it is possible to create pages that are even better optimized than wordpress.

CMS Builder can already do several things to improve page rankings, for example creating SEO friendly links for details pages and having a quick page load time. But most of the SEO will come down to ensuring the page template you use is optimized for SEO. For example by having modern html markup. Also ensuring that every page has keywords and a description on it.

Also CMS Builder has many benefits over wordpress. It allows you to create completely custom site types very easily, there are no restrictions in the type of templates you can use and it's much more secure than wordpress.

If there are any features that you think we could add to CMS Builder that would help with SEO let us know and we will look into them.

Thanks
Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

Re: [greg] SEO capabilities

By Twocans - October 13, 2012

Sitemaps are most important for seo. I have used this for static sites with about 20 odd pages

http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/[url]

It works v v well. but I would be interested if you guys came up with a plugin that would produce the sitemap.xml ror.xml, robots.txt, urllist.txt, and sitemap.html.

Where as the above is excellent for static sites, it would be real fun to have one that could deal with master detail pages thus including all the detail pages.

regards

Kenny

Re: [twocans] SEO capabilities

By Mikey - October 14, 2012

I use SiteMap Automator to generate my site maps. Works quite well and speeds up the entire process.
http://www.ragesw.com/products/googlesitemap.html

Re: [zick] SEO capabilities

By Toledoh - October 15, 2012

http://www.interactivetools.com/iforum/gforum.cgi?post=90599

I've been using this - it's free, but an ugly solution.
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

Re: [pothompson] SEO capabilities

By InHouse - October 22, 2012

Not to belabour the point, but I honestly find that CMSB is a great tool if you as the developer understand the basics of SEO. We're able to create specific code in our pages to make sure that the content (the true engine of organic SEO) can be well understood by search engines.

CMSB allows us to make certain that pages have a unquie title tag, customize the layout using modern "white hat" HTML methods to clearly separate the article and navigation from the rest of the page, and encourage proper client management of that content.

WordPress, often using SEO plug-ins, is actually quite inflexible and limited - but it does put the user on rails so that they can not deviate from a course of action. It does the bare minimum very well. With CMSB you can do really clever things like scrub your title tags for misspellings or content-free words. Or set it up so that your title uses a special text field for content _only_ if the user provides it, falling back to using the article headline if not. Thereby giving your client two chances to insert good, and different, keywords.

With CMSB the onus is on the developer to know the material and make the best use of it that they know how.

J.